Do Cesareans limit your family size? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My sister has had four. The first was unplanned and the rest of a lot of inventions and the other three were scheduled. She was a suitable vbac candidate with the 2nd but didn't choose her. Her doctor encouraged her to have her tubes tied at the same time as the third and she said they were considering having a third child. He hemmed and ha'd and told her it might not be possible but that he would evaluate her carefully during the delivery of the third and look at the scar tissue, etc. She completed the c-section and he told her she could attempt another if healing went well. She did and they have four. At the time of the fourth she said that she would like to have another child and he told her that he didn't recommend it for her or anyone else. And she would have to leave the practice. He wouldn't be responsible. He also insisted on writing a note in her medical records saying he recommended against it. They have a long history together (she also had a four miscarriages) and he was very, very concerned about uterine rupture.

I have a cousin with 13 kids and she has had three csections. She was told that a fourth csection would result in the loss of her uterus.

#32 of 40 Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The risks for complications with mom and baby go up with every C. Those with good outcomes after multiple sections played the odds and won; not everyone is so lucky. I am not a gambler. I really want 3 children, but not 3 surgical births. When we have #2, I'm going for a VBAC, but if that turns into a c-section, I think we're done. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#33 of 40 Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

Not me personally, since I never planned a large family.

Statistically, complications begin to rise after the 4th, and the women I know who want large families try to avoid a CS and are more keen on VBAC. You never know when you're going to hit your personal limit (I know one woman whose uterus was in bad shape when they did her 3rd and another who had 6 CS) so it makes sense not to gamble.

Wow 6!!! jaw2.gif

My mother had both me and my sister via c-section after having a nasty fibroid tumor that made vaginal birth not possible. I thought about that myself...vaginal vs c-section but didn't want to deal with a scar on my stomach (vain I know!) but my mother's c-section scar is terrible and from an incompetent doctor :/ I think I only want two but may want more in the future so trying to stick to VBAC if I can 

hug2.gif    goodvibes.gifstillheart.gif  

#34 of 40 Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

yes! I had thought I would have more than one child-- I had also thought I would have an unmedicated homebirth--- but I had a c section. While my c section ended up being fine- no extra troubles outside of the general c section recovery- it really changed my body. three yrs later I still don't feel totally fit or strong in my core, and other things. I am pretty sure just having a kid at all has mostly contributed to me deciding to probably have an only child- but I know that I am scared of what another birth would do- both scared of how the birth would turn out, and what another potential c section would do to further damage my body-- I definitely factor in my c section when I often consider if I want to have a second child, and it influences my decision. I am not 100% on not having a second, but if I had had a good birth experience I think I would be leaning towards a second child more than I do.

#35 of 40 Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 PM

Not mine. Ill be having section #4 in October. OB said if we wanted another baby, it would be fine by him. I've never had any complications from the surgeries.

SAHM to DS (16), DD (13), DD (3) & a bun in the oven due 10/11/13 

chicken3.gif

#36 of 40 Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM

We were not going to let c-sections limit our family size, but after our 4th c/s we began to question the risks involved with another one. We decided at the beginning of our 5th pregnancy that we would do a VBAMC. It was successful, and now I'm waiting for a 2HBA4C! Any day now!

There are many women who get dooped by the medical community (me included) into thinking that a cesarean is less risky, and that because they have had one (for whatever reason, but more than likely the mom got diagnosed with CPD or failure to progress) they have to have repeats. Moms are not given an option anymore. Maybe in bigger cities around the country, but rarely in rural hospitals. It's pretty sad.

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#37 of 40 Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 AM

Sweet pea that's awesome for you...you GO mama!

Why did you have to get 4 sections? I'm on my 4th due to my never dilating past 4 & it distressing babies. How do you come back from 4 sections and end up with a vaginal home birth?! I'm fascinated. smile.gif

SAHM to DS (16), DD (13), DD (3) & a bun in the oven due 10/11/13 

chicken3.gif

#38 of 40 Old 05-22-2013, 02:15 AM

My 1st was an emergency cs. My 2nd I chose to have a cs, so my understanding w my 3rd I had to have a cs. When Dr was closing me up after 3rd, said if I had tried vbac I more than likely would have hemorrhaged due to something being too thin (I was on pain Meds so don't remember what he said exactly lol). I had a tubal w my 3rd, but now I wish I hadn't bc me & new hubby of 3 yrs want a child (he has none). I definitely wish I had tried vbac w my 2nd. I live in a small rural town in Alabama & the doctors hear encourage & support vbac. Sorry for any typos, it's 4 am & I've not been to sleep yet lol. Got to get off here & get some rest.
#39 of 40 Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMomX4 View Post

Sweet pea that's awesome for you...you GO mama!

Why did you have to get 4 sections? I'm on my 4th due to my never dilating past 4 & it distressing babies. How do you come back from 4 sections and end up with a vaginal home birth?! I'm fascinated. smile.gif

My firstborn was an emergency c/s because after a very quick labor and an hour of pushing, the doctor said he was stuck (which he was, I won't deny it. He had bruises around his head) He was posterior, hence the quick labor and the pain on my hips even between contractions.

I had the subsequent c/s because the hospital I was attending wouldn't allow VBACs anymore. I asked when I was pregnant with my 2nd and my doctor told me I'd have to go to a hospital in a bigger city, like Des Moines. We were 3 hrs from there, so it wasn't feasible. Not knowing as much as I know now, I just went ahead and consented to repeats, thinking that it was the only way I was going to be able to have children. By the time I had my 4th though, I had heard about women having VBACs after more than 1 c/s, and I was getting pretty concerned about the risk factors involved with multiple surgeries. I researched about VBAC when we moved to a different state and I found out I was pregnant with my 5th. My husband and I prayed about it and were at peace with doing a VBAC even after 4 c/s. We actually had to do a homebirth (a hotel birth, actually) because there wasn't any hospital around here that would allow me to even try a VBAC. My med records had CPD down as the reason for my first c/s. You can bet I would like to tell that doctor that I naturally birthed a baby with as big of a head as my first! IMO, CPD is a catchall diagnosis. I really wish I would have had a midwife or even a doula so we could have positioned him right and gotten him to descend. Oh well. What is done is done, right? Now I'm just waiting for this little girl inside to make up her mind when she's going to come out!

PamelaMassey: That's great that your rural hospital will allow VBACs. A hospital 1 hr from me will allow VBAC, but not after 2 or more c/s. I think most places won't allow VBAMC, which is a shame because I have found the risk of repeat c/s is actually slightly higher than a VBAC.

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#40 of 40 Old 08-27-2013, 03:39 PM

I have had 5 sections and am pregnant with #6.

Tags
Cesarean And Vbac , Family

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page