Advised to consider a CS because of bladder/rectal/uterine prolapse - thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas:

I am 9w2d pregnant with (hopefully!) my 6th child.  I've had all relatively uncomplicated vaginal births.  However, my last birth in Nov. 2010 resulted in a fairly serious prolapse of all three structures (uterus, rectum, bladder).  I was initially advised to consider surgery to repair the structures, but instead I decided to try a pessary.  Now that I'm expecting again, I've received some conflicting information about the best means of delivering the baby.  Some OBs believe that a c/s would at least keep the prolapses from worsening.  My midwife seems to think I will do fine with another vaginal delivery and specialized physical therapy after the birth.  As much as I'd like to deliver vaginally again, my gut tells me that the prolapse will probably worsen to the point of no return after pushing out another large baby, and that maybe I should consider the section.  Has anyone else ever been advised to consider c/s because of prolapse?  If so, what did you decide and why?

TIA!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#2 of 5 Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM

I do not have experience here. However, you know what your recovery was like last time with the prolapse. Would you prefer that to sugical birth? are there other complications of the prolapse to consider? Do you plan on having more children?

It seems to me that as your last birth was so recent, taking the suggestion of a c-section might not be a bad plan. Best of luck making your choice.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 5 Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

I do not have experience here. However, you know what your recovery was like last time with the prolapse. Would you prefer that to sugical birth? are there other complications of the prolapse to consider? Do you plan on having more children?

It seems to me that as your last birth was so recent, taking the suggestion of a c-section might not be a bad plan. Best of luck making your choice.

Thanks so much for your reply.  You bring up points I hadn't really considered with regard to prolapse recovery vs. surgical birth.  My main worry is that I will have such a severe uterine prolapse from the vaginal birth that I will need a hysterectomy (rare, but it does happen) because the tendons holding that structure are very weak.  Taking the risk factors into consideration, I think it might be safer to have a c-section vs. a vaginal birth, especially because I am unsure of whether or not I want to have more children.  Given that a vaginal birth could result in a complication that renders me permanently infertile, I don't want to close the door on the possibility of more kids.  Hmm.. so much to think about!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#4 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM

I think the close spacing between this and your previous pregnancy--and therefore the injury--would play into my decision as well. We all know that some degree of pelvic floor weakness is pretty normal with any pregnancy and vaginal delivery, and they resolve with time. Your body has not had the luxury of that time to grow strong again, and it was injured beyond what is typical. Given time and appropriate attention, yes, the weaknesses could be improved with therapy and such. But since you conceived so quickly after a significant issue, I would worry that the likelihood of reinjury or further injury would be much, much higher because your body did not have that time.

Having had a c/s and 2 vaginal births, I personally would lean toward a c/s if I felt that my fertility and continence were at risk.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oops.. I just realized that I wrote Nov. 2011 instead of 2010 for my last delivery date - don't know if that makes a difference!  Anyhow, there will be less than 2 yrs between deliveries, and that does play into my decision making process.  I have done some work to get my pelvic floor muscles back in place (i.e. kegels, lots of pilates and yoga etc.), but I don't feel like things are where they should be, and added pregnancy weight pressing down on those structures won't help.  So... at this point, I'm still leaning more towards the c/s.  Thanks so much for your advice and information!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page