RCS vs first C/S - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of you that experienced RCS, how did it compare to the first one? Was your recovery easier?

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#2 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM

My first C/S was after a very long labor with no epidural and with pitocin.  I was sore and wiped out for days.  My RCS was a little more planned.  I went into labor, but within hours delivered via C/S, so I wasn't as wiped out.  I don't feel that I used as much pain reliever for the RCS and I definitely knew the ins and outs of the recovery more (i.e. splinting with a pillow when you cough, dealing with the feeling of having the catheter in for a period of time and knowing to stand up straight as soon as possible and resist the urge to slouch over because it feels better) and I feel like I bounced back a little quicker.  HTH!

~~~Jennifer~~~

Mama and stepmama to DSS1 (16), DSS2 (12), DSS3 in heaven, DD1 (9), DSS4 (8), DS1 (7), DD2 (1) and DS2 due spring 2014!

#3 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM

My first c/s was a nightmare and it took me forever to recover. My second, although still unplanned, did not follow 3 days of induced labor... so I was much better off going into it. I left the hospital in half the time and healed much more quickly physically and emotionally.

#4 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM

lurk.gif

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#5 of 15 Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM

My first c/s was after 34 hours of induced labor.  I left the hospital less than 24 hours later.  I took all of my pain medication that had been prescribed.  It took about 2 months before I felt normal again.

My 2nd c/s was at 27weeks because of severe pre-eclampsia.  I was in icu for 9 days afterwards.  I never took any pain medication after an initial does of toradol.  I never had any actual pain, just discomfort.  I'm not sure what all contributed to the much much better experience this time.  I know my OB did an excellent job closing my incision.  I laid in bed for 8 days and didn't move much, so I didn't overdo myself like I did last time.  My son was in the NICU so I didn't have to focus on taking care of anyone but me. I felt completely normal by 3 weeks PP.

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#6 of 15 Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 AM

My first two sections were unplanned and after long labors, being fully effaced.  My second section was harder to recover from.  I had mastitis and felt like crap.  My third section was planned two weeks before the operation and it was my best recovery. Could be because I hadn't been in labor for days before...could be because I wasn't fighting infection...could be lots of reasons, but my scheduled section (3rd section) was the best recovery.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#7 of 15 Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 PM

My first csection was 9 years ago, that one was scary. I actually felt them cut, and they had to put me under pretty much. I remember feeling so out of it when I woke up, didn't get to see my baby for a long time my husband had to ask them to bring him to me, so out of it, so much pain. The hospital also wasn't supportive of BF, they put a bottle in my oldest son's mouth which ruined my BF expirience.

My second csection was on Dec 31st. 2011 and it was so much better, I was better prepared, relaxed, I didn't feel pain, I got to hear my baby boy cry and see his sweet face right away. It was all in all better expirience, better hospital, i had immediate skin to skin contact with my baby boy and BF right away.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#8 of 15 Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM

I had my first CS in 10/09 after a 36 hour induction that hardly progressed at all. It was beyond painful and exhausting. I didn't meet my daughter for 7 hours. I was under general anaesthesia so I wasn't even awake for the birth. It was so traumatizing! We tried for a VBAC but I had a RCS on 12/30. We planned it 2 days ahead of time, which was a little surreal but kind of cool because I was able to prepare. It was my biggest fear, and I had to face it. It was a beautiful birth this time. I was awake, present and praying, looking into my husband's eyes. My midwife was there, and held the baby for me so I could nurse her on the operating table!

Physically, the initial healing was way better and faster. But once I got home it took longer than the first time. I've heard from many others that the second is faster and easier, so my experience might because I had a bad cough the week before and after my daugher's birth. I tried to be strict on resting as much as possible

PS- I know you didn't ask this, but for anyone in this situation: it really helped me to work through my birth trauma throughout my second pregnancy, particularly the exercises in Birthing From Within. :)

#9 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM

first was easier - i had a footling/kneeling 33wker and made it to transition with his right leg in my birth canal before being wheeled in. took no pain meds at all after, not even acet/ibup

second was a uterine rupture (36wker) - was broadly cut into and everything was rushed so a lot of utis and long time to heal. took pain meds.

both were unplanned c-births. both considered emergencies, but the 2nd was definitely more so.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#10 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM

I just want to make sure that all of you are aware of this new group:

Unplanned c-section after Long Labor Support Group

Here's the link:

http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/25/unplanned-c-section-after-long-labor-support-group

The group is open to anyone and has a few threads already started.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#11 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 PM

I had a planned repeat section 4 days ago. So far the recovery has been much less painful than with my emergency c. I'm able to do more, with less pain. Which isn't saying much as I'm deliberately NOT being active in order to try and recover! If we have another kiddo I'd be happy with another repeat c. So far the worst part of the whole experience was the hospital stay and sleep deprivation from that, not my baby, at all! I am glad I chose a repeat c instead of a vbac for a variety of reasons.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#12 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

happyblessedmama ~ CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! We need a place to share our birth stories :)

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#13 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

HappyBlessedMama - thank you for sharing your story.  Congratz on the newest addition to your family.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#14 of 15 Old 03-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

I had a planned repeat section 4 days ago. So far the recovery has been much less painful than with my emergency c. I'm able to do more, with less pain. Which isn't saying much as I'm deliberately NOT being active in order to try and recover! If we have another kiddo I'd be happy with another repeat c. So far the worst part of the whole experience was the hospital stay and sleep deprivation from that, not my baby, at all! I am glad I chose a repeat c instead of a vbac for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for sharing, Happyblessedmama! I will be having an RCS in six weeks and am happy to hear it went well.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#15 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM

I recently had my 2nd cesarean.  It was so much better all the way around this time, maybe because i felt so much more in control of the situation.  i really didn't want to have another cesarean, and when i went for pre-op i pretty much broke down in front of the (crunchy) l & d nurse who was doing the visit.  she reassured me and told me i would find it to be a very different experience, and she was right.  i was able to make a birth plan that included the things i felt were important (skin to skin, help with breastfeeding in recovery, reduced meds/duramorph in the spinal).  i was more relaxed about the whole thing and able to leave the hospital in two days, too.  best of luck to anyone going through this-- ime having a birth plan that includes the way you want things to happen makes a huge difference.

CI Mama likes this.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page