No water or ice for 12 hours before Cesarean?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess that's routine, but isn't that sort of crazy when you're pregnant? I know in hospitals laboring women often aren't allowed water or ice.

I am scheduled for a cesarean birth tomorrow because my baby is breech (long story). It is scheduled for 1pm. The hospital did a pre-admission process over the phone this morning and told me not to have any food, water, candy, or ice from 12 midnight tonight until after the birth.

However, the midwife at my OB's office had told me no food from 6am tomorrow on. I can understand no food, and no water once they start the IV a couple of hours beforehand, but going 12 hours with no fluids at all sounds crazy to me. I've had issues with low amniotic fluid and dehydration during the last few weeks and unless I stay well-hydrated (including drinking water at night), I get EXTREMELY thirsty, my hands and feet swell up, and I get lots of contractions.

I guess they want to eliminate any risk of aspiration or something, but does it make sense to intentionally go into a surgical procedure all dehydrated? Could no water from 12 midnight to 11am the next day (when they hook up the IV) put stress on the baby?

Were you able to drink water a few hours before your C/S?

#2 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 AM

My situation was different than yours...I started labor and was moving towards a vaginal birth (or so I thought) when labor stalled and I ended up with interventions. After I agree to an epidural, the hospital no longer allowed me to drink fluids, though I was given ice chips. I remember feeling progressively more dehydrated, though I was sucking down the ice chips as fast as I could, and I was begging them to let me have a sip of water, and something with a little sugar, since I had been able to keep any food down for over 24 hours. I really felt that the dehydration and depletion contributed to the ineffectiveness of my 3 hours of pushing.

I don't know why hospitals are so adamant about restricting water/food prior to c-section. I hope that someone will be able to provide a good explanation!

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#3 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 PM

I finished eating and drinking at 7pm and my c-section was at 1pm the next day.  The nurses and anesthesiologist were happy to hear that.

Physically my baby and I were fine.  I have lower blood pressure, it crashed during the spinal and they did have a harder time getting it up after the c-section but I don't know if that had anything to do with not eating or drinking.

I do know that I threw-up and felt sick with my first c-section but not with the one I fasted for.

Sorry my response was too late.

I hope everything went well and your little one is hear safely.

#4 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM

I felt SO sick from having to fast before my c-section. It was awful. The current studies suggest 4 hours for clear fluids, and I believe 6 hours for food. That's a lot more reasonable than 12 hours, especially while pregnant. Most hospitals haven't updated their protocol for liability reasons only.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 PM

I had an emergency c/s on a full stomach, including a cup of coffee.  It didn't seem to cause any problems.  I guess limiting intake prior to any surgery is standard, but a hungry and thirsty mommy sounds like a bad idea.  Having a c/s does take energy, after all!

I am fairly ignorant about this issue, so I hope some other folks write in.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#6 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 PM

It's a precaution against the possibility of needing general anesthesia, in which case aspiration is real threat. 12 hours npo is standard procedure for any surgery that involves a general. That being said, if you are given a spinal or epidural, having food or liquid in your stomach is probably fine. The chance of having to have general anesthesia (if the spinal fails or there is some other emergency) is very rare, but hospitals are required to be prepared for it.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#7 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

12 hours npo is standard procedure for any surgery that involves a general. 

Really? It's only 6 hours in Australia for elective surgery. And non-elective (but not life threatening) they will usually do after 4 hours.

OP, I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and ask if you can continue to drink water until closer to the time. Some research suggests that water is probably ok up until a couple of hours before but, as I said, 4-6 hours is considered quite acceptable over here.

If they are adamant that you must fast for 12 hours then, given your history, I would ask about the possibility of an earlier admission for IV fluids while you fast.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM

I agree with talking to your doctor. I had an orange and some gatorade before my c-section and the doctor wasn't at all concerned. I think they want you to keep it to a minimum in case of an emergency (intubation), but most will allow a little cheating (some clear fluids, etc.)

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page