38 weeks pregnant, now serious pain near incision - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thirty eight weeks pregnant now, and the last few days and only intermittently I've been having some really uncomfortable pain down low, near my incision.  It does feel like its more on my left side, does not hurt if I palpate or prod, more of a muscle soreness - but pretty darn intense and inhibits easy walking... if I was earlier in my pregnancy, I'd pass it off as round ligament pain, but this is prolonged and sometimes when the baby moves, it's a lot worse and sometimes it's gone entirely.  Of course, as I'm a two time csection mommy, my brain starts thinking... "what if my scar is opening!"... but from everything I've heard, you'd know.  Also, I'm not having any bleeding, baby is moving normally, etc.  I really don't feel this warrants a trip to the OB over, and my rather strong braxton hicks don't make it worse at all... The baby is really low in my pelvis this time, whereas neither DS (who was persistently breech) nor DD ever were this low, and I rarely had any pelvic pressure.  Even with DD who I carried to forty two weeks and still could walk comfortably, until the end of that pregnancy.  I'm having a hard time walking at all now, which just feels so weird to me.  I waddle.  It's nuts.  I've actually gained less weight this pregnancy than with either my other two... no real edema.  Anyway, I'll definitely say something at my next appointment, or go in if it gets much worse, but my fantasies of going into labor and vbacing are being somewhat overshadowed by this fear that my uterus is pulling open.. even though it's probably not.  But, well, if anyone knows what it feels like to have these fears, you ladies would.  Anyone have any similar experiences?  

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#2 of 4 Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM

Hi Catters.  I have only had one c/s, so I don't know what it's like to be pregnant with a c/s scar.  However, you'd had some views and no responses, so I thought I would chime in and at least give you a bump.

Two YEARS post c/s, my scar still hurts sometimes.  I can't imagine what the pressure of another pregnancy would do to that area.  Nothing good, I would imagine.  Hopefully another mama in your situation can give some more input or suggestions.  All I can say is:  ouch.  It sounds awful.  I, too, had round ligament pain and some sciatica that literally knocked me off my feet a few times.  For me, late pregnancy was extremely uncomfortable almost all the time.  It really kicked my butt (and front, and top, and sides).

My perspective on calling my OB for reassurance about such things was that her job was to inform and reassure me.  I never felt guilty calling with a concern or a question; additionally, I absolutely trusted her and really, really liked her.  If you have insurance and a phone call or visit doesn't hurt you financially, I think it's certainly a reasonable question to call and ask should you choose to do so.

Good luck!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!  When I called my doctor, the suggestion I got was not to worry, as it didn't sound like anything really serious, but that maybe baby's position was somehow putting pressure on my ovary.  Anyway, I slept on my right side (I'm normally sleeping on my left) and the next morning the pain was completely gone! It must have been babe's position.  He's sitting very low and I seriously cannot tell you how painful the last few days have been, then, voila! sleep on my right side and pain is GONE.  I feel like I could go another month now!  LOL (not that I want to do that).  Anyway, thanks for replying.  :) 

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#4 of 4 Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM

I had the same problem with my 2nd and 3rd births (both HBACs).  It was really intense during the labor of my second birth.  Turns out it was the iliac-soaz muscle on the right side which presented itself clearly when I tried to return to running several weeks after delivery.  I've been doing physical therapy for 3 years before the pelvic/hip rotation and twist finally resolved at the beginning of this pregnancy.  In the third birth it turns out it was my huge placenta and water putting pressure on the area where my incision is.  I have rather large babies, large placentas, and lots of water.  When I did my first push and the water broke and the baby's head came down the pressure immediately disappeared.  Blessings on your birth! Might want to check and see if wearing a belt might help?  Not sure if it is OK to do that, but just a thought!

Mother of 3: 1 C-section 6/06; 2 HBAC's 12/08 & 10/10 h20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifhomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page