Aria Marie's Beautiful C-Section Birth Story - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Aria Marie was born Thursday, April 26th at 8:32 A.M. via repeat c-section and weighed 6lbs 12 oz. Her birth story is below.

aria.jpg

aria.JPG

Aria's Birth Story

A little background: I planned a home birth with my son Oscar, who is now 3. We discovered he was in a breech position at 38 weeks, and after two days of natural and medical methods to try to turn him, I went into labor and ended up having a c-section.

At the beginning of this pregnancy I researched VBAC, but because I would have to drive almost 3 hours away to have one, I ultimately made the decision (because of that an other health-related factors) to have a repeat c-section. It was not an easy decision, but one I made peace with.

Her c-section was as close to a wonderful experience as surgery can be, and I'm happy to share this as a way to add a positive story to much of the horror and fear surrounding c-section. Don't get me wrong, I believe that c-sections can be terrible and traumatizing (my first one certainly was), and I believe that they are often unnecessary, but I also believe that they can be positive and that c-section birth stories can be beautiful.

Aria's birth story actually begins on Monday, April 22, when I began what would be three days of false labor. UGH! I started having contractions Monday afternoon but ignored them, having had contractions on and off for the past ten days. Then at around 9:00 P.M. that night, while we were eating dinner and watching shows on the DVR, they became too painful to ignore. When I actually had to stop and breathe through them we decided to time them. However, they never came consistently more than ten or fifteen minutes apart so I went to bed.

Everything remained status quo until Wednesday morning, the day before my scheduled c-section. Contractions started coming every 3-5 minutes so we decided that Aria was choosing her own birthday and called the babysitter, who came to get our son. My mom and sister were already on their way to visit and would be there that afternoon.

We headed to the hospital where they put me in triage and strapped a monitor on me. When I didn't have a contraction for fifteen minutes a very rude and officious nurse came and told me that since I had no idea what labor felt like, I must have been mistaken about my contractions. I assured her that I had experienced labor with my son and had dilated to six centimeters before having a c-section. She checked with the doctor and they decided to send me home. On the one hand I was pissed, because my OB kept telling me again and again to go to the hospital if contractions got to be 10 minutes apart, because she didn't want me contracting on my scar and I was having a c-section anyway. On the other hand, I felt like it was no big deal. I would be back the next morning for my scheduled c-section anyway.

So I got to experience being sent home for false labor, lol!

I slept surprisingly well that night and woke naturally at about 4:30. We loaded up the car and slipped away with our son and my mom and sister all still asleep. The roads were quiet and empty and we held hands all the way to the hospital.

What I wasn't expecting was how incredibly caring, sweet, and funny our c-section team turned out to be. They asked permission for student nurses to observe, and being a teacher and professor myself, I was SO enthusiastic about the students that they went and got more. It was extremely rewarding, because the students were beyond excited to see a c-section, something most of them had never seen. The whole time they were prepping me for surgery we laughed and joked and ending up coming up with a running joke that would play out during my entire stay at the hospital: "C-Section: The Musical." Some of you may not find it funny, but I have a pretty sick sense of humor.

Some of the musical numbers we came up with:

"Oh, that incessant beeping."

"This IV hurts like a mother f*cker"

"Pay no attention to what's going on behind the curtain" (my OB came up with that one)

"The right fallopian tube is connected to the O-VARY."

My husband filmed one small part of the c-section where our daughter is actually born, and watching it fills me with wonder.

After she was born, my husband followed her over to the warming table. They were both only a few feet away from me, and within minutes they brought her over to me. I kissed her and held her, then handed her back to my husband while they sewed me up.

One of the happiest and most magical sights of my life was watching my husband dance slowly around the operating room while holding and singing to our daughter. At one point he looked up at me and said, "I forgot what this was like. It's so wonderful."

Once in recovery I was breastfeeding skin to skin right away. She latched and breastfed perfectly. The nurses covered us both in warm blankets and turned out the lights, and we had a very peaceful two hours together, nursing and resting.

Aria is a dream come true. She is so delicate and beautiful. In many ways she looks like our son, but in other ways she is so unique. She has a ton of very dark hair, as well as huge purple blue eyes. She takes my breath away.

My milk came in two days later, and by the time she was five days old she had regained her birth weight.

Her birth was not "natural" or at home, but it was perfect. It is her birth story, and therefore exactly what it should be.

MeepyCat, maeby and Poogles0213 like this.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#2 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Thank you for sharing! This story brings tears to my eyes. Congratulations on a job well done, mama!

And I LOVE "C-section: The Musical"!!! I must have an identical sick sense of humor. thumb.gif

Your daughter is beautiful. I hope you are enjoying these early days with her.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#3 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM

She is beautiful!  Thank you so much for sharing your/her story!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM

what a beautiful story! thank you for sharing! 

#5 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Absolutely beautiful.  Congratulations!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM

Thank you for your story on your great experience. I am curious how your recovery was and if they gave you a binder so you could get out of bed, sewed all 6 layers to reduce abdominal adhesions, or used glue on your top layer of skin for the best scar?....there are sites that promote healthy c section recovery, and its important to ask your Dr to give you the best surgery possible, as 93% of abdominal surgeries result in adhesions or scar tissue that can create many secondary problems in the body, like incontinence, back pain, bowel obstruction etc. One site is the csection recovery kit site, they have a lot of patient advocacy information. Your lucky they didn't try to vaccum your baby out, like they did with mine, he **** lhas cranial issues, headaches and doesn't like to wear hats- it should be illegal as well as forceps to remove a baby like that....with a vaccum.....so your lucky that it was all beautiful. Every birth is natural, some are just helped with surgery thats all......

#7 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umasmom View Post

Thank you for your story on your great experience. I am curious how your recovery was and if they gave you a binder so you could get out of bed, sewed all 6 layers to reduce abdominal adhesions, or used glue on your top layer of skin for the best scar?....there are sites that promote healthy c section recovery, and its important to ask your Dr to give you the best surgery possible, as 93% of abdominal surgeries result in adhesions or scar tissue that can create many secondary problems in the body, like incontinence, back pain, bowel obstruction etc. One site is the csection recovery kit site, they have a lot of patient advocacy information. Your lucky they didn't try to vaccum your baby out, like they did with mine, he **** lhas cranial issues, headaches and doesn't like to wear hats- it should be illegal as well as forceps to remove a baby like that....with a vaccum.....so your lucky that it was all beautiful. Every birth is natural, some are just helped with surgery thats all......

My recovery has been great! Much faster than my first c-section. They did sew all six layers except the top, which has steri-strips (not sure if there is glue). They also gave me an abdominal binder, which I love and which helps a lot. I had no complications or problems (adhesions, etc.) after my first c-section and don't anticipate any this time around. The numbness around the incision site is always strange and probably the hardest thing for me, but with my last c-section all numbness disappeared at about six months. I stopped needing pain killers after first few days and have started just taking regular doses of tylenol or advil a couple of times each day, usually after doing too much (I have a 3-year-old at home).

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#8 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Congratulations mama!!! Aria is gorgeous :) Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story, I cried :) I have a scheduled repeat elective c-section coming up on June 7th and after having 2 c-sections in the past with much drama I am hoping this one of our daughter will be as beautiful as yours was. 

My upcoming c-section is also a decision I wish I didn't have to make but am at peace with, and I got to book the date I was hoping for (which was later then the OB wanted) so I feel that the universe was aligning for that day :) I am also doing as much as I can to ensure a lovely birth experience incl meeting with the anesthesiologist in 2 weeks, I purchased a binder and am writing up my birth plan.

Thanks again for sharing and enjoy your sweet baby :)

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#9 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_mommy View Post

Congratulations mama!!! Aria is gorgeous :) Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story, I cried :) I have a scheduled repeat elective c-section coming up on June 7th and after having 2 c-sections in the past with much drama I am hoping this one of our daughter will be as beautiful as yours was. 

My upcoming c-section is also a decision I wish I didn't have to make but am at peace with, and I got to book the date I was hoping for (which was later then the OB wanted) so I feel that the universe was aligning for that day :) I am also doing as much as I can to ensure a lovely birth experience incl meeting with the anesthesiologist in 2 weeks, I purchased a binder and am writing up my birth plan.

Thanks again for sharing and enjoy your sweet baby :)

Thanks for your wonderful words! Congratulations on your pending arrival!

One of the things you will notice with a scheduled c-section is how much more cheerful and less hurried the staff are (at least, this was the case with me). I think when the c-section is not scheduled, even if it's not a true emergency (as in the case with my son, who was breech), they are a bit more concerned, slightly hurried (I was in labor) and a bit grim (knowing this is not the outcome you wanted). There is also your own disappointment to deal with. That's one reason this was so much easier.

I have to be honest and say that there were a few procedures that were worse for me this time around. It took them four tries to get the IV in, and three tries to get the spinal in. I also had a brief crash of my blood pressure, which made me feel clammy and horrible for a few minutes until the meds they gave me kicked in. However, I expressed my pain and discomfort and fear to the nurses and anesthesiologist, and they were all wonderful at comforting me and helping me.

One of the biggest differences was our confidence this time around regarding the baby. She was in our arms almost the entire time, whereas for my son's birth he spent much time on the warming table. This time my husband made sure to hold her right away and most of the time I was being sewed up. During my son's birth, it was about thirty minutes after I got to recovery before I tried nursing. This time, I asked for the baby immediately. They said I could have the baby but couldn't sit up yet, and they were still doing procedures on me. However, I had MUCH more confidence with holding and breastfeeding a newborn, so I just held her skin-to-skin and nursed her while laying down, and had her the entire time I was in recovery.

The recovery itself has gone much better, mainly because I knew what to expect. I made sure the nurses had me on a regular schedule of pain meds (last time they made me ask for meds and the pain would get away from me). I had toradol every six hours (it's an anti-inflammatory not a narcotic) in my IV, and I cannot recommend this enough.  After going home I made sure to take my prescription ibuprofen every eight hours like clockwork, and I've felt pretty good. I've also been using my ab binder religiously, which is making a huge difference.

Best of luck to you! I hope you'll keep us posted on how it goes.

Poogles0213 likes this.

#10 of 11 Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM

how lovely!  love this story, and what a beautiful babe!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#11 of 11 Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 AM

thank you so much for posting this.  I needed a c-section three months ago with my first baby and it was so terrible - I will try VBAC with my next baby but if it doesn't work out I'm happy to know that the experience needn't be so bad. 

naturemummy.blogspot.ca

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page