GBS test with a scheduled c/s. Is there a point? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to think about which tests I will consent to and which ones to skip.  It occurred to me that there may not be a reason to test for GBS with a scheduled c/s since you are already routinely given antibiotics.  Please correct me if my understanding is wrong, I haven't done my research on this idea yet. 

Perhaps a different type of antibiotics is given for GBS than those already administered?

Also, isn't the concern for GBS when the baby goes through the birth canal?  That wouldn't occur with a scheduled c/s.

Thoughts?

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#2 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Hello :) I had a scheduled repeat c-section in March. My ob said there was no need to have the GBS test since my son wasnt going through the birth canal. So dont be suprised if they dont even mention it. Good luck and all the best for your delivery.

#3 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Just a side note:  I wasn't given routine antibiotics after my c-section.  

#4 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just a side note:  I wasn't given routine antibiotics after my c-section.

From what I understand they are given DURING the c/s.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#5 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You do not need the GBS for a c-section, most docs do not even mention it.  Almost all docs will give you a dose of Ancef (IV abx) during the c-section.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#6 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 PM

Depending on the pediatricians/policy at your hospital...if your water breaks and you have a c-section before antibiotics have been in for 4 hours...which they aren't if they are the pre-op ones, then your baby may need labs drawn and stay for at least 48 hours (no biggy for most c-sections).  Depends on the policy at the hospital what may or may not need to be done if your water breaks.  If your water does not break, then it is not an issue at all.

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

#7 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 05:30 AM

The only reason I could think of would be as a hedge, in case you went into labor before your scheduled section and changed your mind. 

(ETA: I was admitted with high BP at 32 weeks and the resident in triage was about to do a GBS swab "just in case" and I said "I had a CS last time; if I need another one, do I really need that swab?" and she said. "OH. No, you don't." I did have the 36 week swab, but that was because I had been considering VBAC and thought I might change my mind if I went into labor.) 

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#8 of 8 Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM

Yep there's a point. While most scheduled c/s happen as scheduled c/s, sometimes a woman might go into spontaneous labour and sometimes things progress too quickly to do the c/s. The swab is painless and knowing is better than not knowing as the consequences of untreated GBS can be devastating.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page