Emergency cs question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
When I had my emergency cs 2 years ago I did not have an epidural & was told because of that I had to have general anesthesia. Today I've read several stories about planned cs where the epidural was put in when they got to the OR & it didn't sound like much time before the procedure was started.

Why is GA necessary for an unplanned cs if you don't have an epidural? DS was not in distress for mine. I had been in labor 34 hours & wasn't progressing at all.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
An epidural can be put in prior to an emergency c/s if it is thought that mum and baby are well enough to wait the extra time. And as long as there are no contraindications of course.

It's only when things are very time critical that a GA needs to be used as it can be done in a few minutes whereas an epidural will usually take about 20 minutes from start to ready to cut, if all goes well.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
This is why I wish OBs and midwives would routinely sit down with patients and debrief on the events and decisions involved in a labor. The only way to know for sure would be to ask the doc who did the surgery, or to get the complete medical records with all the notes.

There are sometimes contraindications for epidural, like low blood pressure.
#4 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

That is really good to know thanks!

#5 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You state that you had an emergency cs, but that your baby was not in distress. Why then was it an emergency cs? Or was it an urgent cs (done within 30 minutes of decision time)? For a true emergency and/or crash cs, yes, GA is generally used if there is no epidural because they do not want to delay getting the baby out. But if there is no fetal distress, a spinal would usually be placed.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#6 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post

You state that you had an emergency cs, but that your baby was not in distress. Why then was it an emergency cs? Or was it an urgent cs (done within 30 minutes of decision time)? For a true emergency and/or crash cs, yes, GA is generally used if there is no epidural because they do not want to delay getting the baby out. But if there is no fetal distress, a spinal would usually be placed.

Emergency c/s just means that it wasn't booked in advance, it isn't a reflection of the condition of mother or baby.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Emergency c/s just means that it wasn't booked in advance, it isn't a reflection of the condition of mother or baby.

Where I work as a L&D RN, an emergency cs reflects a medical emergency (for either mom or baby) and is performed ASAP (may or may not have time to place a spinal).

An urgent section is done within 30 minutes of decision time (such as for worsening tracing that is not yet emergent, breech in active labor)

A non-urgent/unscheduled section is done in cases of non-progressing labor/descent, repeat cs (if mom that was planning on a repeat cs comes in with SROM or in laobr), or breech (not in active labor).

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#8 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional replies. Honestly I don't really remember much of it, just snapshots. Eventually I will request the records & read them but I'm not ready yet.

#9 of 9 Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM

I had also been in labor for 34 hours when we decided on a c/s.  In our case it was a non-emergency c/s because my baby was stuck but not in distress.  They gave me a "spinal anesthesia" which is different than an epidural: it doesn't require a catheter and its effects come quicker but last for a shorter span of time.  They would've given me the general if the spinal hadn't worked.  I bet those stories you read were referring to spinals right before surgery, not epidurals (in the strict definition).  

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page