C section recovery alone in the hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my third babe is due in January. Due to circumstances beyond my control, this baby will be my third csection. With the first two, my husband was able to stay with me in the hospital for the most part and help with changing the babies and handing them to me for feedings. This time around, that just isn't an option. He has to be at home for most of the time I will be in the hospital and I am really nervous about doing it all myself. Anyone have experience being on their own in the hospital after a c section? Tips or advise to make it go more smoothly? Thanks!!!

#2 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I keep the baby in bed with me all the time so no need to be lifting them in and out of the bassinet. I put wipes and nappies in the top drawer of the bedside locker so I could reach them from bed. When DH was leaving after visits I got him to help set up my locker and table within reach with water, food, book, iPhone etc and I didn't hesitate to ask the midwives to move them back if they had to rearrange things to do my obs or whatever.

I also found a folded blanket under my elbow was more supportive than a pillow because it didn't compress like a pillow.

That said, I was really only confined to bed for the first day. After that I could get up as I needed to, it was just easier not to.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Hello......its not fun to think of being alone, but you won't be, really. You will have the nurses and friends, and hopefully a binder to help make it easier to move. Binding is a great way to deal with pain and help with walking. I got mine on the c section recovery kit site, and it was great. I also found out about a different way the Dr can do the surgery that makes recovery a lot easier, its called the Misgav Ladech method for cesarean, and they cut below the belly button, and open up the muscle belly instead of cutting the tendon on the pubic bone, like they did to me. Good luck in your recovery , and get a binder on you!  If they give you the c/s the other way, ask for stitching instead of staples......

#4 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM

l've recovered alone in the hospital a couple of times. I called the nurse every time I needed help with the baby. I did keep him in bed with me for much of the time but anytime I needed anything I called the nurse. They seemed glad to help and very understanding that we had other kids at home and no family in town. I used the wheeled bassinet thing to help me walk all around the hallways once I was up. I would wheel the baby all around and I really think it helped me to heal quickly to get out of bed and move around. I also only stayed 2 nights so the time went quick and I was home quickly.
#5 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support! It definitely freaks me out to not have him there, but this is encouraging. Last time I had to stay four nights, but I am hoping things are a bit more smooth this time around. I plan on talking to my doc about stitches vs staples at my apt next week. I remember last time around being scolded by the nurses for sleeping with the baby in my bed. Does anyone else have experience with this? Seems like the only way to get any rest when you don't have someone to transfer that first day.

#6 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 AM

The first day the nurses are coming in often to check you and the baby anyway. I kept the baby in bed with me a lot but I did let the nurses put him in the bassinet for part of the time. He seemed to be sleepy and content in there after the birth for the first day and I kept it so close to the bed that I could touch him. By the time he was a little more restless and wanted to be held more I was better able to get up. Budt you can call the nurse anytime you need help. That's why you're in the hospital snd they're there to help. I don't pay attention to anyone scolding me. It's my baby and I'll hold him when I want to hold him. I'm paying to stay in the hospital. I just smile a lot and act confident about what I need and have had very good luck getting the help I need without unwanted advice or scolding.
#7 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. It is extremly helpful!

#8 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM

You already have some great advice. IF you don't have a lot of friends and family that can help, you may consider a post-partum doula for some of the time and when you return home if you need a little more assistance.

Good luck and congrats with your new little!
#9 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 PM

I found not having my husband there even better.  DH is a heavy sleeper so the first time around I had to wake him up to get anything.  He didn't sleep well and got sick and was less useful once I got home.  The second time I sent him home and the nurses helped me. 

Some hospitals have a rule against the baby sleeping with you.  I would ask the maternity ward ahead of time what their policy is.

#10 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 AM

I'd recommend a private room if you're going to be alone. I started off in a semi-private because they were out of private rooms and was upgraded on my second night to a fully private. It was so great, I could set up my things the way I wanted, leave my supplies in the bathroom so I didn't have to carry anythng and I could wheel my baby into the bathroom with me (I don't know why but it just seemed strange to leave him out in the room by himself).
When I was in the semi-private room I was already kind of upset that my OH wasn't with me but all I could focus on was how annoying my roommate and her snoring husband were. By 2am I was crying and begging the nurses to take me anywhere but there.
#11 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Yiikes. That sounds horrible. The hospital where I am delivering only has private rooms. Thank goodness!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page