How can a cesarean birth be made more "natural"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What things can a mom who knows she'll be having a cesarean do to make the birth experience as natural as possible? Did you have the opportunity in your cesarean birth experiences to create a more natural environment?
#2 of 14 Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

mamazee

i have been looking at your post for several days and really trying to wrap my head around it. i had a c-section and to be honest i am not sure what could be more natural...except if it can be performed at a birth center????? breastfeeding is very important too so maybe try to keep that in the picture of all the meds...staying in the hospital for 3 days... humm... anyone else?

#3 of 14 Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for or not (I feel like natural could mean different things to different people) but here some things that I am hoping for/planning to do.  It's a short list given that it IS a surgery so certain things are just not natural.

Skin to skin if at all possible IN the OR asap.  This is the big one for me.  (Not getting to hold my babies right away was always my biggest issue.) If this isn't possible due to medical reasons for me DH may be able to.

Homeopathics to aid in recovery.  I still need to research this. 

Bring probiotics for me and baby to hospital.  Since antibiotics are routinely given during a c/s and babies gut will not be colonized in the birth canal this one is big for me. 

Like i said, short list but these are my main things that I feel like I can control.

Margaritaa and JenVose like this.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 14 Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

i never thought of the probiotics....duh..great idea

#5 of 14 Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Doctors are doing "gentle cesareans" in a few hospitals and include: quiet OR, delayed cord clamping, skim to skin contact. See this link http://www.icanri.org/gentle-cesarean.php
#6 of 14 Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM

I had my c-section at a high-risk hospital so they're seasoned pro's at doing c-sections. They have what's called a "natural c-section" which is almost exactly the same as a natural birth, just a different point of exit ;)

However, because of the excitement and possibly the anesthesia, I found it difficult to use my arms to hold my baby for the first few minutes, I was really cold and shaky... so it might be worth talking to whoever will be with you to help you hold your baby at whatever weird angle they have to. My husband just held our baby for 15 minutes while they stitched me up, flipped me into my hospital bed which propped up and then everything was fine :)

#7 of 14 Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Probiotics are a great idea anyways, but I've never been given antibiotics during my sections.

SAHM to DS (16), DD (13), DD (3) & a bun in the oven due 10/11/13 

chicken3.gif

#8 of 14 Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM

I know that you can request to do skin to skin as soon as the baby is "born". you can also request that the baby/vagina be swabbed so they get some of the bacteria  they would thru a vaginal birth. I also would breast feed ASAP.and take things to help with swelling etc like arnica and bromelain :)

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#9 of 14 Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaritaa View Post

I know that you can request to do skin to skin as soon as the baby is "born".

It's fairly important to me that born doesn't go on quotes.

There's a lot of ways to make c-sections better, and to treat the mother-infant dyad more holistically. I'm not so sure that natural is a thing to aim for here, and I worry about pressure that women might feel to snap back from surgery as though it didn't happen. (I couldn't hold dd right when she was born, I was out of my mind on morphine.) I also see a lot of cost cutting measures in maternity care pushed on mothers as "natural" or "baby friendly" without regard to the mother's need to rest and heal.
AlexisT and CI Mama like this.
#10 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 PM

I don't think anything can make a cesarean "natural", but I found being able to breastfeed dd2 in OR changed the expeience a lot. I didn't have to hold her - dh and the L&D nurse did that. (I don't know if it works the same way in all hospitals, but the procedure for scheduled c/s at my local one is to have the mom-to-be check into L&D, where a drip is started, paperwork filled out, IV placed, etc. The nurse who attends on the L&D ward then accompanies the woman into OR.)

While it has nothing to do with how natural the experience is, I also highly recommend suturing the skin, instead of using staples. I had staples for my first four. If you'd asked me after my first two, I would have said they were fine, but I had staples tear free after both number three and number four. I asked for sutures for number five, and they were much less painfull and gave me more mobility.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#11 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Interesting thread! Unfortunately, I don't have any tips, but I'm going to guess that it would be easier to make a scheduled cesarean "natural" than an emergency one, though if you had preferences listed in a birth plan for emergency section it might make for a smoother time.

In my case, the only thing I would really change about my cesarean experience (other than having one at all!) would have been sleeping through most of it. I still don't know if I was given general anesthesia or what went on. It is really disappointing for me to look back and only remember snippets of my son being born. I think maybe anesthesiologists maybe need to be aware that their preferences aren't the only ones that matter in the OR.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#12 of 14 Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapigeon View Post

Interesting thread! Unfortunately, I don't have any tips, but I'm going to guess that it would be easier to make a scheduled cesarean "natural" than an emergency one, though if you had preferences listed in a birth plan for emergency section it might make for a smoother time.

In my case, the only thing I would really change about my cesarean experience (other than having one at all!) would have been sleeping through most of it. I still don't know if I was given general anesthesia or what went on. It is really disappointing for me to look back and only remember snippets of my son being born. I think maybe anesthesiologists maybe need to be aware that their preferences aren't the only ones that matter in the OR.

Eek, they gave you general with no choice? Not nice. I just had #2 by scheduled c/s (#1 was emergency c/s because of my son wasn't descending and his heart started decelerating), and they gave me a spinal, so I was able to move my arms and interact the whole time. So that's definitely something I would recommend--I was able to touch him and remember everything going on, which can be a bit uncomfortable (it is QUITE a push on the abdomen when the actual removal happens, urk), but better for both of us. It also allowed me to interact with him and BF as soon as I got into recovery. My other thought would be what someone else had already mentioned--having your spouse/partner there in the OR and able to go snuggle with and talk to the baby as soon as possible. My husband was there with me for both, and was able to hold our boys basically as soon as they were out. He's not so thrilled at knowing what my liver looks like (made the mistake of looking, despite knowing better! smile.gif) but got to do what I could not in those first few minutes, which made me quite happy.

#13 of 14 Old 07-05-2013, 05:42 AM

I'll have my sister-in-law look at this thread.  She's also asking the same question, looks like probiotics is a good idea.  Thanks for sharing ladies.

#14 of 14 Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was lucky to be in a Baby-Friendly hospital known for its natural birth practices and aftercare and BFing support. They gave the baby to my husband as soon as he was out. I had both my arms strapped down for various IVs so I couldn't hold him but DH held him right up to me. As soon as I was stitched up and my arms were free again, he was put directly on my chest as someone said the words "skin to skin". He stayed on me the whole rest of the day and night and pretty much the whole time. They also had family rooms and from night one the baby slept in the bed with us, and my hubby was able to stay there as well.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page