Preparing for a Cesarean Under General Anesthesia? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's been talk of the possibility of my needing a c-section if my platelets are too low (the last check was actually *up* to 136 from 114 the previous check, so hopefully won't be needing it, but...), and if it comes to that, I'll have to be under general anesthesia. I've read all about "gentle cesarean" births, and they sound wonderful, but they all seem directed (mainly) towards c-sections under local anesthesia, and so not quite as helpful. I've had a previous c-section, under general anesthesia, which was *very* traumatic, and so I'm trying to avoid similar this time, just in case, but I'm not sure how, because most of the issues seemed to stem from the general anesthesia (DD was super sleepy, didn't eat for at least 24 hours, I was out of it for about the same amount of time, a huge lack of connection between me and her from birth, and (even though I know now), I was always worried that she wasn't the "right" baby, since neither her dad nor I were there when she was born.) I'm doing everything I can think of to raise my platelet count, so I don't have to have the c-section, but I want to be prepared for it, too, just in case, because last time, we were bullied and kind of blind-sided.

What kind of preparing should I do? Is there anything I can do to make it more pleasant/not so traumatizing?

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Just wanted to bump this up and add support for anything you decide.  My ds1 was also born by c-section under general.  I was out of it for about 12 hours and asked my dh at least twice what sex the baby was in the first 10 minutes.  I did not have to worry about the possibilities with his younger brother.

Although I have to say now that that baby is almost 17 we often comment to him that we aren't absolutely sure he is ours since neither one of us was there, when we aren't crazy about his choices/behavior. Of course looking just like his older sister and younger brother helps ;-) 

#3 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 10:25 AM

If you don't mind me asking, why does it have to be under general? I was always under the impression that doctors prefer local. I would question them and see if they would allow local?

...to be honest though, I had my son with a spinal and it was a wonderful birth but I faced some of the same challenges as you did. My memory was pretty patchy and I kept asking my husband to fill me in on what happened when I started to regain bits and pieces of memories which didn't make sense like how we got from one room to the other, what time it was when certain things happened, things like that. 

I think the most helpful thing I had in that sense was a really (really) caring nurse who was with me from the time they prepped me all the way to the recovery room. She actually made a much better partner than my husband did! lol... she told me everything that was happening, helped me with my baby and answered all my weird, fuzzy questions.... and gave me drugs, lots and lots of drugs :) It wasn't planned that way, she just happened to be there and it was the most helpful thing, I think. Perhaps you could ask for a nurse to stay by your side until you're in recovery and "babysit" for you until you or your DH are ready? 

#4 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

If you don't mind me asking, why does it have to be under general? I was always under the impression that doctors prefer local. I would question them and see if they would allow local?

...to be honest though, I had my son with a spinal and it was a wonderful birth but I faced some of the same challenges as you did. My memory was pretty patchy and I kept asking my husband to fill me in on what happened when I started to regain bits and pieces of memories which didn't make sense like how we got from one room to the other, what time it was when certain things happened, things like that. 

I think the most helpful thing I had in that sense was a really (really) caring nurse who was with me from the time they prepped me all the way to the recovery room. She actually made a much better partner than my husband did! lol... she told me everything that was happening, helped me with my baby and answered all my weird, fuzzy questions.... and gave me drugs, lots and lots of drugs :) It wasn't planned that way, she just happened to be there and it was the most helpful thing, I think. Perhaps you could ask for a nurse to stay by your side until you're in recovery and "babysit" for you until you or your DH are ready? 

It has to be under general because if it's for low platelets, there's a risk of them nicking something and my bleeding into my spine (I think) if they do local/spinal, and so they don't do that. (That's what I understand from looking it up, I may be wrong about the reasoning, but everything I've read says that if you have to have a cesarean due to low platelets, it has to be under general anesthetic.)

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#5 of 6 Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM

I have chronic ITP since I was 10

Here's my c-section story

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1373693/happy-c-section-after-induction-x-posted-in-jan-2013-ddc

My count was 24K going into my induction, 30K before c-section. They had platelets and blood on hand, I didn't need any. Had the section under general, and the next day my count was at 60K. In all honesty, I've never had any surgery before, or a baby for that matter, but the whole thing was fine and not a big deal. I was pretty open to "whatever happens, happens" and our bottom line through the pregnancy was "healthy baby, healthy mom" so we got exactly that!

The worst part for me was the sore throat that lasted for a couple weeks from being intubated. TBH, my partner watched the whole thing, and from what he told me about it, I think if I need to have a RCS in the future, I might even request general.

BB was in his hands within minutes of being born and I woke up less than an hour later.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have about the section or about platelets. 

Also - is it possible for you to get a 2nd opinion? Your count is high enough to still get an epi where I live...My cut off for a vaginal birth was 20K, 80 for an epi (and an epidural means even if they want to section you, it wouldn't have to be under general...). Check out www.pdsa.org for more info - there's some good birth stories from women who've had super low counts going into labour....

In any case, i wish you the best of luck. It sounds like dumb advice, but try to relax and just breathe.....xo

#6 of 6 Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 PM

Also - just to add - I was bf'ing my DD right after I woke up (with help from nurses and DP) - we have a great bf'ing relationship (I'd heard lots of horror stories about not being able to after a section). She was super alert with apgars of 9&9 (I had had access to drugs during the induction - narcotics, gas, etc. but was scared of them so didn't use them, which is why I think she wasn't sleepy or floppy at all)...

Wasn't the experience I had planned for, but I couldn't have wished for a better outcome!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page