Will health insurance pay for postpartum care after a c-section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know the policy for any health insurance that will pay for home health care to help women after their cesarean surgery? 

I work as a nursing assistant in a hospital and am also a doula. Recently I have been starting the steps to become an independent private duty nursing aide and would like to specialize in treating prenatal and postpartum women who have complications but I need to know if there is a "market" for it from a medical stand-point (i.e. if insurance will pay for any of it) or if I should approach it from a more holistic standpoint. 

I have to call the insurance companies in order to apply to bill them but that is like four steps ahead of where I am at right now. 

Any info from anyone who has billed for this as a provider or the person who needed services would be a life saver. Thanks everyone!

#2 of 3 Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

I got home nursing visits after DS's birth (because I hemorrhaged), and after DD came home from the NICU - they did daily weigh ins until she topped a certain weight.  We got the visits through the local Visiting Nurse's Association.  We were referred by the docs who treated us in hospital, and the visits were covered by insurance.

I didn't need nursing care while at home on bed rest with DD, but I know people who could have used it, and I'd be surprised if there isn't something.

Our PP nursing visits for DS were awesome.  The nurse was just wonderful.  She was practical and helpful about our nursing issues, and she really helped make sure I was okay.  The nursing visits for DD were... less so.  The nurse kind of acted like it was too much trouble to come out, and she wouldn't listen to DH at all.  So my experience is:  there is a market, and good nurses can make a world of difference for families as they settle in with their newborns.  I think it's wonderful that you're doing this.

FlintDoula likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I don't know the details, but I did work in home health care about 15 years ago and did get two visits with a pp mom who told me her insurance was covering it, so it seems likely that at least some would, especially if the ob requested it.

FlintDoula likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page