Post cesarean body.... Not happy. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if there is already a post about this but I had my first child in February via emergency c section. I did gain a lot of weight during my pregnancy, (135lbs pre pregnancy and 199 lbs at birth) I'm 5 months post partum have only lost 14 pounds greensad.gif but I think the worst of it all is this weird flap I have in the front of my belly. It's loose skin that hangs I read about wraps a month ago and had no idea about them, then realized I was supposed to use them right after my c section... Ugh I'm so frustrated I have no time to work out.. But I don't doubt I will slowly drop the weight, it's just this weird flip flop belly thing I've got that I don't know what to do with or how to get rid of it, I'm afraid losing weight won't make a difference with this... It make dressing awful, is till look pregnant and I'm so embarrassed I don't leave the house much anyone else have this problem after c section or have any helpful solutions? Thanks
#2 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I never heard of a wrap after csection.  Hm.  All I can say is that bodies take a looooooooooooooo (breath) ooooooooooooooong time to recover.  The "weird flap" won't be helped by losing more weight, I don't think.  The skin simply needs more time to bounce back, at least that is what I think is happening.

Weight loss can take a long time, especially after a csection where it's a struggle to walk around the house with the baby.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I had a belly flap that was just awful right after my son was born, and it gradually lifted a bit, but never went back to normal. I think you could probably still try a wrap and it might make a difference.

I agree with Sweetsilver, the skin is stretched out and needs to tighten up a bit, which losing weight won't necessarily help.

Good luck, this is a frustrating problem!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#4 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 10:29 AM

You raise a few different, though related issues.

First, the C-flap. This might be due to adhesions, a type of scar tissue that results from surgery, which are holding your incision skin too tightly onto underlying tissue. Scar mobilization massage can be very helpful for this.

Second, losing weight can improve the look of your scar. If you diminish the amount of subcutaneous (under the skin) fat, then your going to have a lot less bulk, and therefore less to hang over.

Third: still looking preggo. Very common. This is due to abdominal laxity, meaning that your muscles are still too long and weak. Start doing pp core rehab exercises. Even just 10 minutes a day while your baby naps can make a big difference. (Don't start with exercises like crunches, these will not flatten your abdomen.) Google my screen name for more on this.

Once your abdominal muscles are shorter, then you'll have less hanging tissue too, which will also greatly improve both the function and shape of your abs.

BeFit-Mom

Lazurii and babyaddict like this.
#5 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeFitMom View Post

You raise a few different, though related issues.

First, the C-flap. This might be due to adhesions, a type of scar tissue that results from surgery, which are holding your incision skin too tightly onto underlying tissue. Scar mobilization massage can be very helpful for this.

Second, losing weight can improve the look of your scar. If you diminish the amount of subcutaneous (under the skin) fat, then your going to have a lot less bulk, and therefore less to hang over.

Third: still looking preggo. Very common. This is due to abdominal laxity, meaning that your muscles are still too long and weak. Start doing pp core rehab exercises. Even just 10 minutes a day while your baby naps can make a big difference. (Don't start with exercises like crunches, these will not flatten your abdomen.) Google my screen name for more on this.

Once your abdominal muscles are shorter, then you'll have less hanging tissue too, which will also greatly improve both the function and shape of your abs.

BeFit-Mom

Interesting! I can see where tightening the abdominal muscles would make a real difference.

babyaddict likes this.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#6 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Omg thank you I had no idea about any of this... As far as scar mobilization massage goes does this mean I just massage the area w my fingers?
#7 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

RE: c section scar-- I had a body worker tell me how to do it- basically get some kind of body oil ( I use almond oil with a little rose essential oil in it) and put it on your hands. Rub scar from one end to the other, starting from different places. You can use your whole hand fingers or palm, whatever feels good- for just three minutes a day or so. She showed me how to do it but I think any way you do it is fine- just keeps the area supple and breaks up the scar tissue. She said to do it every day for a few minutes or whenever you can. I am now three yrs past c section and I still do the massage of the scar sometimes.  Good luck-- it is a lot to adjust to a new baby, a new body AND a c section scar with  additional problems! Things will get better. I don't have that flap thing but my body is still very different than before baby. But better than a couple of years ago!

Also I had some pain in my back that the scar tissue was potentially contributing to (by keeping the area too tight) and the other thing this  person suggested was doing kegals to strengthen the muscles from the inside out. I do them- uh, occasionally! I did them a lot for a while but now occasionally.

#8 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What you have is a panniculus. I have it, too. I gained the same number of pounds with my ds1 as you did. My scar tissue was bad and the massive weight gain left me with more skin than could ever shrink down. Eight years later I had another csec, but this time I had gained only ten pounds. My midwife had told me that as my belly grew, it would rip up the tight brick of scar tissue but I never gained enough weight to grow a big belly and then I ended up with a csec again. Because of how much scar tissue I had from the first time, the second OB had to go up a few inches. So now my brick of scarring had turned into a cinder block.

You can certainly try to break up the scar tissue by hand massage. For me, it is too painful. I'm 11 years pp from ds2 and I'm planning to have abdominoplasty in the next year. Sadly, that is the only real solution to rid your body of a panniculus.

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 9 Old 08-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

For losing the pregnancy weight, try cutting grains, potatoes, and refined sugars but increasing meat, veg, and good fats. Mine went away fast when I did that, switching our snacks and meals closer to "paleo" to help my hubby's problems with gluten, lactose, and his weight. I wasn't even trying to lose weight quickly or eat less either, I feel like I eat more than I used to. Exercising (play hard with the kids, forget the gym) can tone muscle and use up some energy but it's mostly what you eat that will control weight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page