Continuous low grade temperature and extreme fatigue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
had a scheduled induction 3 weeks ago and ended up having cesarean due to the baby being transverse. I had an infection in my placenta that the doctors treated with IV antibiotics. I was released from the hospital few days later with no problem. 3 weeks have gone by and I feel utterly exhausted, I tire out after just a couple of hours of being awake usually. During these 3 weeks I have also had a low grade temperature that runs from 99.1-99.9. I have been back to see my doctor several times and she assured me that what I was experiencing was normal, my temperature is higher due to hormones and that my exhaustion was due to sleep deprivation and major surgery. They ran blood work on me and everything was normal and there was no indication of infection.

Is what I'm experiencing normal or should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this?
#2 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

It's hard to convince anyone that anything should be more exhausting than the first few days after birth, but you do sound beyond exhausted.  I like that you are keeping contact with your doctor about this.  Listen to what she says, she's probably right if they've done bloodwork and monitored you, but also, you have to stay in touch with your body, and if it just doesn't feel right, don't hesitate to keep your doctor in the loop, especially while your temperature is up.  

My own memories are a blur--it was that bad.  Hang in there!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

My memory of the immediate post-surgery recovery is pretty blurry too.  I remember that sometimes I just crashed.  I'd be up and feel okay, and then I'd suddenly have to fall asleep right now.  You did just have surgery, and not only does that leave you with a lot of healing to do, it hurts, and pain is exhausting. 

That said, I don't love fevers, even low grade ones.  I'm not a good judge of when to worry, but has your doctor given you any guidance about what symptoms she thinks would be cause for concern?  I often feel very reassured by having a checklist for that.

After that, I want to know how fast the results from your bloodwork came back, and whether they're doing any kind of ongoing culture (sometimes infection doesn't show up on the first look).  I also want to know whether you have adequate pain relief.  I mostly got by on advil and tylenol post-partum, but I'm not completely sure it was a good idea.  At this stage, it is totally reasonable to medicate around the clock, and reasonable to ask for stronger meds if you need them.

#4 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not really in any pain, but extremely sleep deprived. The cbc came back the same day they sent it out which was Friday. She really didn't give me a list of symptoms to look for, I thought everything I told her was alarming enough but she said it was normal Postpartum symptoms. Tylenol or advil does not help with the fever. I'm just scared is all, this is the hardest thing I've ever gone through.
#5 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Hang in there, mama.  Post-surgery with a brand new infant has to be the hardest thing you will ever do.  Keep tabs on that fever.  Don't let the doctor forget that it worries you.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#6 of 6 Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I'd be hoping that tylenol and advil were helping with the pain.  If you've got a low-grade fever despite them, I'm really not happy about the fever.

It's fair to call the doctor back and ask what WOULD be worrying. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page