2 years ago today I walked into my scheduled c-section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2 years ago yesterday I booked my c-section at 8 days overdue with my second large baby.  Although the OB and I were hoping my body would show signs of labour, the baby was still high, I was still hard and closed.  Assuming that this labour would result also in an 'emergency' c-section again we scheduled it the next day.

So instead of going for hike (which is how I felt) I walked into the hospital, put on a gown, got an IV, made some phone calls to tell people we were 'having' a baby soon.  DH and I chatted about our upcoming move, chatted with the nurse about her kids and then off to the OR.  There I chatted with the nurse, who was from my home town, and made the mistake of lifting my head during the spinal which I blame for the following 8 months of back pain.  Then I chatted with the anesthesiologist about our move.  Then several minutes later they pulled a cry little boy out and showed him to us.  My DH got to hold him after they weighed him and we got the thumbs up from peds.

Then they took him to the nursery.  Finished up the surgery and took me to recovery.  There my OB asked the recovery nurse if DH could bring the baby in and she said no.  So instead of holding my baby we chatted about her recent adoption.  After an hour or so, even though my blood pressure was low, she let me go back to my room.  My baby was there but I couldn't hold him because I was scared I would faint.  And nurses were in every 15 minutes checking my vitals for several hours.  And that is my sons birth story.

I am very pro natural birth.  But I am 0 for 2 now.  And for me, walking in to a scheduled c-section is very unnatural.  The above does not seem like the way a baby should be born.  I had no mental connection that I was about to have a baby.

Thanks for reading.  It's nice to type this out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I felt the same way when I think about my previous C-sections. I have now had 4 and the 4th was just 2 weeks ago. I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I know all too well how it feels to be unnatural and wanting a more personable experience. I wasn't aware that you can have a birth plan for a C-section. that being said, my experience was heavenly. We requested no one in our room until the 1st hour at least since I was in recovery. I was able to be skin to skin with my daughter and have that special bond. I requested no bath for her until later in the evening which ended up being when all our children were there with us and they bathed her on my hospital bed. I got the catheter removed asap and was walking just a few hours after delivery. I wanted her to sleep in my room in my bed and not leave. All of my wishes were granted and made the after delivery experience much better. So if you have another, stay positive. You are doing great!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page