Requesting medical records? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if anyone here has requested their hospital records after a c-section?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, I requested mine after my son was born. It wasn't a problem, but I had to go to the hospital in person and sign a release to get the records.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#3 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Did you request a full chart or just the basic records, and did you learn anything useful or interesting from them?

#4 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 05:58 PM

I just got my surgical report, with details about suturing and blood loss, etc. I was pretty out of it (unplanned section after laboring for 30 hours), so I found out a lot of information that the OB told me in recovery, but I didn't catch. I would definitely recommend getting a copy of your records just so you can understand more of what happens during the surgery/hospital stay.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

#5 of 8 Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Out of curiosity why request your records? I had two emergency cesareans and never thought about this. Very interesting.
#6 of 8 Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Lulu, I requested the records because I vaguely remembered the OB saying that I tore, but couldn't figure out if he meant my perineum or uterus and wanted to find out for sure.

#7 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I requested mine. It wasn't that useful and cost me around 30 bucks, but hey.

#8 of 8 Old 11-23-2013, 01:51 PM

I don't live in America, but I requested mine a week after I got home from the hospital.

I also asked to see them while I was still in hospital...and it made for a very interesting read. (Though a bit surreal I think, since I was sleep deprived, and a bit out of it).

Primarily I learned that the midwives caring for me delayed too much - that the doctor on duty (when he finally arrived to look in on me) thought it obvious I wasn't progressing, and wouldn't....and thus scheduled the section immediately. This though, after a good day and a half!

I also learned baby was bigger than anyone expected.

For me it was great to get copies of the records - though it was not the birth I wanted, and it was traumatic in various ways...having the notes allows me to see the facts, and somehow that makes things a little better.

mamapigeon likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page