Ovarian cyst causing me to have a C Section - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was praying for a normal delivery. But that's out the window now as l did a sonogram and was told that l have a cyst on my right lower abdomen about 10cm in size and l need to remove it as my side was slightly swollen. So am going to be schedule for a C Section a week beige my due date to get baby out and then have the cyst remove.... Any other ever had the experience???
#2 of 4 Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteadams View Post

I was praying for a normal delivery. But that's out the window now as l did a sonogram and was told that l have a cyst on my right lower abdomen about 10cm in size and l need to remove it as my side was slightly swollen. So am going to be schedule for a C Section a week beige my due date to get baby out and then have the cyst remove.... Any other ever had the experience???

I have not but I'm wondering why they couldn't wait for you to give birth naturally and then remove the cyst? Just something to think about. Good luck whatever decision you make.

#3 of 4 Old 12-14-2013, 10:16 AM

How far along are you? They may be concerned that the rigors of natural childbirth could cause the cyst to rupture, which is very painful. (Not sure if more painful than natural birth though!). I had a cyst about the same size surgically removed at 15 weeks pregnant. Feel free to ask questions and maybe we can answer them. I hope all goes well for you!
#4 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 AM

Well, I had 15 hours of unmedicated backlabor with a pitocin drip.  And I've had a large ovarian cyst rupture.

Hands down, of the experiences to have again, I'd chose the labor with MORE pitocin and someone kicking me in the crotch at the same time.  When I had my cyst rupture I blacked out and dropped unconscious from the shock/pain, was transported to the ER via ambulence, screaming from the pain when I came to.  I was told that most ruptures are just very painful and do not involve a lot of hemorrhaging so do not think this would have to be your experience, but speaking as someone who's done both man that was not a "no big deal" experience.

A 10 cm cyst is pretty damn big, so I can intellectually understand why they don't want to risk it rupturing during labor, though a lot of women probably have labored with a cyst that was never caught and no one was the wiser. Something that big has the potential to cause you to lose an ovary or depending on what kind of cyst it is, you could hemorrhage pretty badly, which is why they're concerned.

I'd be sure to discuss with your doc your options, get a 2nd opinion if you can/want to.  If you're already numbed I doubt that they'd need to put you under for it, and you won't have to receive pain meds later since you'll get everything done in one go.  Honestly, I'd opt to have the cyst removed at birth, not after.  My rupture occured when my daughter was 3 months old, and I'm very lucky that it did not cost us our breastfeeding relationship because I was very very very ill for awhile afterwards.  Sometimes those big suckers will go away on their own, but having lived through one I'd want it out just in case.  IME they do not offer to remove them or say that they should be unless there's a concern for your ovaries or ovarian torsion which is a very serious situation.  But I would ask for more information and what their specific concerns are, for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page