Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   C-section Birth (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17256-c-section-birth/)
-   -   Questions about Cesareans (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17256-c-section-birth/1396582-questions-about-cesareans.html)

joy123 01-28-2014 05:18 PM

I will be having a c section in early May.  (this will be my second--the first one was not planned and they put me out for it so I don't really know what all happens during a c section because I wasn't awake for the first one. :( )

Anyways, this time since the C sec will be planned, I am wanting to do a birth plan. 

Are there certain questions that I should ask?  or Things to be aware of?

I have found a few other ppls birth plans for c secs and they mention stuff that I have no idea what they are talking about or if they are necessary...

for example:  Is it standard to have antibiotics before the c sec.? Is this necessary?

They tie down your arms?!  What is that about?!

Are there basic standard procedures that doctors follow in all c sections?

Thanks in advance!

pokeyac 01-30-2014 12:51 PM

Will your doctor be doing the c/s or someone you don't know? I would ask what their standard procedures are. Every hospital is different. I would ask who is allowed in the room with you. Often one person is allowed. Will you be able to see the baby being born? I would ask about what they do with the baby. Some hospitals use baby-friendly methods that encourage breastfeeding. Do they place the baby skin to skin on your chest after it is born? Will the baby go to the nursery right away or stay with you? If the baby goes to a nursery, can your partner go with the baby? How soon can you breastfeed if everything goes smoothly? Can they delay bathing the baby and doing the eye ointment until after you have time to do the first feeding? Those are things I would want to know. I hope you have a great birth!

bayosgirl87 01-30-2014 02:34 PM

The hospital was respectful of my request not to put eye ointment. They did not do delayed cord clamping or let us rub his vernix in. I was told this was because "the OR is cold". Boooo. I've heard other people that got the surgeon to at least delay cord clamping, but whatever.

They let us have our baby right away and encouraged skin-to-skin, which was nice. They let us room-in as we requested. It helped that our son's Apgars were "perfect".

If I had to do a RCS I would definitely request the same things since a different hospital or surgeon may be willing to. I would also ask that my arms NOT be tied down-that was one of the freakiest aspects of it. :(

joy123 02-05-2014 06:32 AM

Ok. I have heard several comment on having their arms tied down??? 

What is the purpose of this? Do they always do this for c secs??

bayosgirl87 02-05-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy123 View Post

Ok. I have heard several comment on having their arms tied down??? 

What is the purpose of this? Do they always do this for c secs??

I assume it's to keep people from moving around and disrupting the surgery. It's done routinely unless you try and specifically ask them not to.

bellesmom 02-05-2014 11:54 AM

For my first C/S, my arms were not tied down at all.  For the second C/S, they tied the one on the side the anesthesiologist was on, but not the other.  I informed them that I did not like it at all and would prefer it not be done.  My last C/S, they did the same thing.  I was told that it was easier for them to keep track of my vitals and everything if one arm is stationary.  Once DD was delivered, they untied it and I had both arms free.  I think it is either the choice of the surgeon or the anesthesiologist. We asked for time for baby on my chest after she was born and also that my DH get to go to the nursery with her.  Both were already expected, so no worries there.  I also requested that my Mom be allowed to meet me in the recovery room since DH would be in the nursery with DD.  She has done this with my last two and will with this one as well.  It was much better being in recovery waiting for DH and DD with someone rather than alone.  We also requested no eye goop for baby and will do that this time, too.  It wasn't met with much opposition. Good luck! :)

AlexisT 02-05-2014 06:07 PM

I did not have my arms tied. 

Prophylactic antibiotics is the standard of care. It reduces the rate of postoperative infection. Keep in mind that until a few years ago this was done for all surgery BUT c-section... recent research has shown it is important for CS too. 

Nursery: This is dependent on hospital setup and protocol. Some do some don't. My first didn't, my 2nd did, but I probably could have fought it - I did not because I knew my closure would be lengthy. My DH could have gone. If they keep the neonatologist and everything in/next to the OR it can probably be avoided if you ask (unless baby needs to go of course). 

Skin to skin: Sometimes. keep in mind you may not want it in the end due to the temperature of the OR and the incline you will be at. If there are any issues with baby's temperature regulation you can consider this to be out. The OR is kept cold. I was happy to have the baby brought to my face to kiss and not to attempt skin to skin. 

Some OBs will delay cord clamping, most will not--keep in mind the research on it has been done with vaginal births primarily. Not that it couldn't offer a benefit for CS babies, but the surgery introduces other factors that have not been studied. Generally, they want the pit in, the placenta out and you sewn back up ASAP. 

Ask about anaesthesia, whether partners are permitted in during administration or only when you are numb (I've had both methods), recovery setup. At my 2nd you were prepped and did immediate post-op in an LDR right across from the OR. It felt much more "normal" than my 1st where the surgery was kept all separate from the regular L&D patients. 

limabean 05-03-2014 03:36 PM

I wish my arms had been tied! The operating table was so narrow that I had nowhere to rest my arms -- they kept falling off the table, and all I could think about the entire time was how shaky and tired my arms were from trying to keep them up on the table. I finally tried tucking my hands under my rear to get some relief, and the medical staff yelled at me for putting my hands near the surgical field. rolleyes.gif

katelove 05-03-2014 09:11 PM

In Australia we *never, ever* tie anyone's arms down (unless they have had a GA of course). I am still appalled whenever I hear about this practice. Generally what happens here is that we put an arm board (long, oval padded board. Has a post extending down at one end which fits into a socket on the theatre table) on one side. The woman rests her arm on this and this is the side we put the BP cuff and IV on. On the other side we usually put a bookend type of thing, which is also padded. It is L-shaped and the non-padded base slides under the theatre table mattress. It's basically a tiny little side rail to stop your arm falling off the table.

limabean 05-03-2014 11:25 PM

That sounds like a perfect set-up, katelove. All the OB nurses I've talked to here in the states have mentioned similar set-ups for supporting the arms during a c-section.

I think I just had a royally incompetent medical team. The only reason I had to have a section in the first place was that the anesthesiologist pushed paralytic drugs into my line by accident.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent OP.

katelove 05-04-2014 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

That sounds like a perfect set-up, katelove. All the OB nurses I've talked to here in the states have mentioned similar set-ups for supporting the arms during a c-section.

I think I just had a royally incompetent medical team. The only reason I had to have a section in the first place was that the anesthesiologist pushed paralytic drugs into my line by accident.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent OP.

Good grief! How awful for you. I'm so sorry you had that experience. Good to hear that generally things are better though.