Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

deleted

#2 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Do you have any sense of what the hospital policies are at the hospital you're using?  Some things may simply not be changeable.  Some things may be totally standard.  I think you might get a lot of reassurance, and very valuable information, from taking the L&D tour if you haven't already.

You want reasonable things.  I think your preamble is a problem.

Quote:
 First and foremost we want to be respected under our fundamental, paternal rights as the people most invested in the well-being of their child.  We wish to be informed, advised and supported whether we follow said advice or not.  We understand our rights, with that being said, we also know that with rights comes responsibility.  We trust that we will not be bullied into saying yes, when we clearly have said no.  Hospital policy dose not trump constitutional rights.  Thank you for honoring our fundamental rights and respecting us as concerned and loving parents.  Likewise, we will respect the Doctors and consider their advice and make educated decisions.

1.  "Parental" is probably a better word then "paternal".  Paternal is just fathers.  Parental is both of you.

2.  It is the job of the medical staff to try to convince you to change your mind when you are doing something they believe not to be in your own or your baby's best interest.  Doctors and hospitals have been successfully sued by people who claim that they did not adequately understand the risks they were taking.  So you need to be prepared to say no, say no again, and sign things that say you understand that what you are doing may result in death.  The doctors can walk you through this nicely or meanly, but they are not allowed to just shut up if they believe that you are risking serious or imminent harm to yourself or your child.

3.  The right to refuse care is not enshrined anywhere in the Constitution, so bringing the Constitution up will lead a lot of people to read you as slightly crazy.  I'd go with "Hospital policy does not trump our legal right to refuse consent to medical procedures." 

#3 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

deleted

#4 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

deleted

#5 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 AM

It is unlikely that your husband will be able to cut the cord during the c-section- that's done in the sterile field, and your husband will not be scrubbed.

Why in the world are you refusing the newborn screen and jaundice testing?  

#6 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

deleted
#7 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
It's rare that it would come up- but dad present if you are under general anesthesia might be a non-negotiable thing for the hospital. Might be a battle to fight now not in that emergency. I know to you it is having dad at the birth and to protect baby- but to the anesthesiologist it is an untrained, unnecessary, emotional person (and potential patient) in the space where he is working (near your airway, monitors, IV , etc) during a high risk, life or death event, which is already not going as planned,
#8 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

IF you are at a teaching hospital, expect blowback over an insistence that only attending physicians attend you. That's part of being in a teaching hospital. You can ask, nad you can say you don't want extra observers, but they do assume residents will be helping. My spinal with #2 was done by a resident and they weren't going to hold it up to find an attending if I insisted. 

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#9 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My suggestions would be as follows:
-Deliver the birth plan to the staff ahead of time, or fax and confirm via phone noting whom you spoke with.
-Bring a copy of the plan with you the day of birth.
-Give the birth plan, ahead of time, to your health care provider and ALSO to baby's pediatrician. Discuss with them also.
-Take the tour mentioned in PPs reply. You will meet staff and become familiar with your surroundings.
-You may wish to decide about glucose testing for baby. Become familiar with the guidelines of your hospital as hospitals all differ. My
son was born 41.5, 8.15 oz and I did not have Gestational Diabetes. He nursed soon after birth and continued while in hospital. Yet his heel was pricked three times, three glucose tests. FWIW the scars are actually like a lance mark not a prick. He has three scars when you press his heel. Each test had normal results. Finally I refused the fourth one the nurse was coming in to do.
Regretfully, I did not inform myself prior and wish I had included this subject in my birth plan.
The following site was enlightening:
http://allnurses.com/ob-gyn-nursing/newborn-blood-glucose-266264-page2.html

Apart from this issue I had a fantastic experience birthing at a teaching hospital. It was not C section but I would imagine they were stellar in that area too, as far as being baby friendly and following birth plans.

Best wishes to you.
#10 of 10 Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

One thing:  Immediate skin to skin from birth to suckling.  There is overwhelming evidence that skin to skin is the norm just as breastfeeding is the norm.  When moms and babies are separated, there is increased difficulty in breastfeeding, decreased bonding, increased risk of hypothermia and low sugar for the babies.  I highly recommend discussing with your doctor, and the anesthesiologist will need to be involved as well because the placement of the lines will need to be adjusted. 

There are 9 instinctive stages a newborn human goes through immediately after birth.  It is essential for normal development that the newborn is free to go through them uninterrupted.  Barring emergencies, of course.  See the first link.

http://www.magicalhour.com/aboutus.html

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/the-evidence-for-skin-to-skin-care-after-a-cesarean/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR7uE4wu9dw  (seven minutes)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page