C-section & Depressed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
C-section & Depressed

Hello I am new and I came across this forum I had a c-section about two weeks ago. My water broke but I never dilated I stayed at 2 for about 7 hours till the doctor came in and said that my son was trying to come out and causing him the have a very rapid heartbeat and suggested c-section. I was scared and didn't know what to do so I went ahead with the c-section. I have been depressed scared ever since I have been reading all the things that happen to your body with a c-section and it freaks me out!! I also feel like a failure bc I couldn't deliver natural and it depresses me knowing that I would never get to experience that part of mother hood. I just cry all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Post-partum depression is really common, and post-operative depression is not exactly unheard of. Surgery is hard on your body, and your body is in a direct feedback loop with your brain, and it's no surprise you feel awful.

That doesn't mean you're stuck feeling awful, though. Your OB should be able to refer you to a therapist.

You made a good decision, by the way, based on the information you had. You are a strong mother who chose to risk herself instead of her baby. Motherhood is not any one moment, it is all the moments put together. Your son is hardly going to remark his birth, but he feels your love every second, and he will for years.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Hopefully this passes so I can enjoy my baby to the fullest!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
Post-partum depression is really common, and post-operative depression is not exactly unheard of. Surgery is hard on your body, and your body is in a direct feedback loop with your brain, and it's no surprise you feel awful.

That doesn't mean you're stuck feeling awful, though. Your OB should be able to refer you to a therapist.

You made a good decision, by the way, based on the information you had. You are a strong mother who chose to risk herself instead of her baby. Motherhood is not any one moment, it is all the moments put together. Your son is hardly going to remark his birth, but he feels your love every second, and he will for years.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I absolutely hope it passes quickly, but I cannot say enough that there is help for these conditions, and you don't have to tough it out by yourself. It sometimes feels a lot better to assume that the problems will pass quickly - it's sure nicer than imagining that they stick around - but I think you should approach getting help as though depression is long-term. If you turn out to get over it fast, your therapist will be delighted for you. If not, you REALLY want a therapist.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

I have my next apt in 2 wks I will have to let him know about how I've been feeling and dealing with this. I just really want to feel back to normal.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Peanut, sounds like you've been reading about things that are statistically more likely with C-section. Not everybody gets them! I had no ill effects from my C-section whatsoever, and my daughter would definitely have died without it. Some things about our story are different than yours, but in the end we both made decisions about what would be best for our babies.

Cesareans get a lot of bad press these days. Keep in mind, the WHO goal for % Cesareans of all births is not zero. While childbirth is a natural thing, it's totally possible for a baby or mother to die from bleeding, infection or obstructed labor. Having one doesn't mean you failed - a lot of this stuff isn't in our control.

If your OB isn't helpful, keep looking.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Peanut, sounds like you've been reading about things that are statistically more likely with C-section. Not everybody gets them! I had no ill effects from my C-section whatsoever, and my daughter would definitely have died without it. Some things about our story are different than yours, but in the end we both made decisions about what would be best for our babies.

Cesareans get a lot of bad press these days. Keep in mind, the WHO goal for % Cesareans of all births is not zero. While childbirth is a natural thing, it's totally possible for a baby or mother to die from bleeding, infection or obstructed labor. Having one doesn't mean you failed - a lot of this stuff isn't in our control.

If your OB isn't helpful, keep looking.

Very true!! Thank you I felt a lot better reading this!!!

Tags
c-section , depressed , scared , worried
User Tag List