• 2 Post By Chaika
  • 1 Post By WallaWallaMamma

#1 of 9 Old 12-23-2015, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
c-section support from medical team

Hello!

I know the answers to this question will depend a LOT on individual circumstances, but what kinds of things do you wish your medical team discussed with you before your c-section but didn't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-23-2015, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
How they were doing it for their own convenience and not because of any medical need...

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 9 Old 12-23-2015, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
How they were doing it for their own convenience and not because of any medical need...
Well, I am not in the North America, but maybe my answers count as well I am currently waiting for my third C-section. I wish they discussed with me other options except for the rule: once c-section, always c-section. I wonder why after my first (done in India) I had 0 bleeding, while after one done in my home country I bled for about 40 days. I wish they told me to wrap or not to wrap the belly, what to do with scar tissue, and how to handle better baby and BF considering the pain. Things like that, that would make it more holistic from one point, and more humane from another
My*Scorpio likes this.

#4 of 9 Old 12-24-2015, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine was an emergency c-section, because my baby was in distress. They had warned me that if his heart rate fell below a certain level, they would have to do a c-section. In the meantime, I was aiming for a natural birth and was laboring with monitoring. They had me hooked up to a beeping machine. When they all finally ended up rushing in and telling me I had to have a c-section NOW, they were mostly talking to each other and not to me (understandable, they had important things to communicate). But the beeping had stopped, and I thought that meant my son's heart had stopped beating. I finally got a chance to ask a nurse as they were prepping me for surgery "Is my baby still alive right now?" She was shocked and assured me that of course he was (and he was, and still is healthy). I didn't realize that the beeping had stopped simply because they'd unhooked me from the machine! So I guess all I would change is to make sure somebody is always communicating with/listening to the patient if possible, and explaining what is going on.
Also, I ended up with a severe headache from the spinal anesthesia, and nurses kept just giving me tylenol for a couple of days (which was only marginally affective) until one nurse figured out that it could be from the anesthesia and had me try lying flat on my back (headache went away completely). She called in someone from the anesthesia team to confirm. I had been sleeping in a propped up position in my hospital bed, and didn't know there was such a simple solution. I wish another nurse had thought of this earlier!

Working artist mom with scientist husband, one nifty kid, A. (born 8/11), a couple of cats, and a new baby on the way!
#5 of 9 Old 01-21-2016, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Honestly, I wish I would have been told anything about it before my first. My first was an emergency section after a long labor. I had planned on a natural birth, and hadn't really been told anything, and when it came time there wasn't time and it just happened. I wish my providers would have discussed c-sections and recoveries etc. The only information I had was that they were horrible and to be avoided. That became a self-fulfilling prophecy I think. I wish I would have had more information about what it was like.

The biggest thing in general I wish providers would acknowledge is the need for alternative breasfeeding holds after c-section. I wasn't prepared for the discomfort of a cradle hold (my preferred way) and I wish I would have prepared more.

The second section was planned (though I was allowed to go into natural labor so we didn't know when it would happen), and I was able to have all of my questions answered and be told exactly what would happen when I went in. It was a much more positive situation all around.
#6 of 9 Old 01-22-2016, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Be very kind to your digestive system post op!!! Lots of water, easy to digest stuff (smoothies, soups, cooked vegetables and fruit). All that anesthesia plus labor processes shut me down for a week, I should have prepared better. The nurses will typically offer you a laxative, but for one of my c-sections they did not. You might have to ask for it. Not the most glorious post partum memory, but that's life, right.
blessedwithboys likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 01-22-2016, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metafisica View Post
Well, I am not in the North America, but maybe my answers count as well I am currently waiting for my third C-section. I wish they discussed with me other options except for the rule: once c-section, always c-section. I wonder why after my first (done in India) I had 0 bleeding, while after one done in my home country I bled for about 40 days. I wish they told me to wrap or not to wrap the belly, what to do with scar tissue, and how to handle better baby and BF considering the pain. Things like that, that would make it more holistic from one point, and more humane from another
Did you wrap your belly afterwards? Did it help or hurt? I'm considering this for my third c section in the spring. I have had a lot of trouble in the past with pelvic pain at the end of pregnancy and plan to start wrapping soon. I also thought wrapping might help afterwards for those sneezes and coughs that pull on the incision.
#8 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I am still waiting for my c section, as my due date is at the end of April....I did not wrap previously, and was in a lot of pain, also my last pregnancy was a twin pregnancy, so my stomach muscles got stretched, and I am hoping the wrapping will prevent further damage Still trying to debate as to getting a store both stretch wrap, or go for traditional knot wrapping of South east Asia....hmmmmm....what do you think as it seems we are on the same boat?
#9 of 9 Old 01-24-2016, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
The above advice about thinking about what you eat beforehand is spot-on! Don't eat anything that will cause you a lot of gas, because if your bowels are temporarily paralyzed (common after abdominal surgery of any kind) that can get really uncomfortable.

Talk about the anesthesia beforehand, so you know what to expect. I've had 11 surgeries total, and the C-section wasn't terrible at all. I had spinal anesthesia and was wide awake, no sedation (so no sedation to go to the baby), and it worked great. You do feel pulling and a sense of things happening in the abdomen, but if spinal anesthesia is good there isn't any pain at all. If your doctor works with an anesthesiologist who prefers something else, that would be good to know too. So there's no surprise.

My doctor couldn't put my baby right up on my chest because of hospital policy - the pediatricians had to check her out first. In my case, that didn't matter, because she had to be rushed to the NICU, but that's a good thing to know ahead of time.

Good luck. My daughter's birth was horrible because she was really, really sick when she was born, but she could not be more wonderful and we could not have been more tightly bonded when she was a baby.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page