My 5 yo foreskin will not retract ANYMORE - Mothering Forums
Intact Care > My 5 yo foreskin will not retract ANYMORE
lyricalmom's Avatar lyricalmom 05:31 PM 07-15-2012

My son used to be able to retract his foreskin to expose the head a little bit.  Nobody except him has ever retracted it.  Well he has been getting irritated and frustrated on and off complaing that his "pee is annoying him" and he gets angry and to the point where we can't even say anything to him or he just explodes and says we are making his "pee annoy him even more".

I took him to a naturopath a little over a week ago, and she confirmed that indeed it will not retract, (she didn't try but was getting the feel for the area and it is indeed unable to retract at all) as if the skin is shrinking above the head/tip of the penis.  There is no puss, discharge, heat or infection.

I am so bummed, I feel so helpless.  I guess I take him to an MD and see what they say?  I have heard that a slit can be made or something?   He complains that it bothers him otherwise I would just let it be and see what time would bring.  

Does anyone have experience with this type of issue?  Where the foreskin was able to retract and then was not able to?

thanks!

lauren's Avatar lauren 06:33 PM 07-15-2012

I'm sorry I haven't had experience with that but wanted to say I hear you and I would be concerned too. Do you know if there is any kind of family history of that happening with anyone else? (not exactly family reunion conversation, is it!?)

MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar MCatLvrMom2A&X 07:49 PM 07-15-2012
Usualy when this happens there is some sort of irritation going on. It could be yeast or soap or any number of things. Yeast can be present without being obvious. You mentioned the cut they do to allow for retraction. This is something that is generally for late teens or adults who have reached maturity but still cannot retract usually due to scar tissue. Your ds is to young to consider that IMO ods are high this issue will resolve on its own given time. It is possible to that he may be starting the separation process and things are a bit irritated because of it. Here is an article that might be helpful http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732 If nothing else give you ideas on how to help with the pain.

Here is an article written by Dr Fliess that talks specifically about a foreskin doing what you described.
Quote:
Sometimes a previously retractable foreskin will become resistant to retraction for reasons that are unrelated to impending puberty. In these cases, the opening of the foreskin may look chapped and sting when your son urinates. This is not an indication for surgery any more than chapped lips. This is just the foreskin doing its job. If the foreskin were not there, the glans and urinary opening would be chapped instead. Chapping is most often caused by overly chlorinated swimming pools, harsh soap, bubble baths, or a diet that is too high in sugar, all of which destroy the natural balance of skin bacteria and should be avoided if chapping occurs. The foreskin becomes resistant to retraction until a natural and healthy bacterial balance is reestablished.

When does the irritation occur, during urination, when he has an erection?
jd0805's Avatar jd0805 11:32 PM 07-15-2012

To the OP - your question was anonymously posted at Saving Our Sonshttp://www.facebook.com/SavingOurSons/posts/462784510407342 SOS does have a couple clinicians who volunteer time in responding to questions like this, so maybe they have some info for you?  

Up