10 year old foreskin problems... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, my 10 year old son has been complaining that the tip of his foreskin is itchy, red and swollen, chapped, hard to urinate (comes out like a "spray"), and it stings when he urinates. He's been able to fully retract for a few years now, so it's not an issue of new separation from the glans. Last night I had him put some A&D on it, and he said it did soothe it a little. I'm going to have him switch soaps, he's been using Irish Spring bar soap, I use Aveeno body wash which is much more gentle so we'll try that. I've always taught him soap on the outside, water only on the inside, but I read a post here that said to keep soap off even the exterior foreskin? My husband (who is circed) is worried about this being less than hygienic...he was alarmed that he doesn't use soap underneath and I tried to explain that to him but he was still skeptical. I made the decision to keep our boys intact, and he really doesn't mind, but both of us are pretty ignorant on what to do when problems crop up. At what point do we need to consult a doctor? He says he's not having a problem retracting, I told him to keep putting the A&D on after he uses the restroom and other than bathing to leave it alone. I would appreciate any additional suggestions/advice you all might have!!

As a side topic, can anyone recommend a good book that covers intact care?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-18-2012, 07:00 PM

From the description you gave it sounds like he might be dealing with yeast. For that he can use OTC monistat the 7 day kind applied one daily to the foreskin if that is what is going on it will clear up pretty quickly. Soap on the external genitals is fine as long as you rinse it off well. Some men do use soap on the glans but many find it irritating and drying and it isnt needed just like we ladies dont use soap up in the vagina or usually on the lips depending on personal preference.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

He's doing much better! Between the A&D and the switch in soap, he says it's almost 100% healed. I thought too it might be yeast, and if the other hadn't worked that would have been the next thing I tried. Thanks for your input! I guess a lot of it will be trial and error for him to find what products are okay versus which will irritate, I know that's how it's always been for me :P. Thanks again, glad I found this forum smile.gif.
#4 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM

It's so hard to find real advice about intact care, isn't it? I was told I'm a failure as a mother on another board because my just turned 11 year is just starting to retract. Only one person said "great, that means you never retracted him!" The rest of the responses were mean:(

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page