Ped. urologist's nurse said DS (6yo) should pull foreskin back slightly when peeing, is this correct? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If this is indeed correct I just wanted to make sure.  His foreskin is somewhat separated but not all the way.  He was to a pediatric urologist for a completely different reason (potty accidents and constipation). 

Thanks!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#2 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Nope whether to retract or not is a personal preference kind of thing. ds didnt do it until this last couple of weeks, he will be 8 yo next month.. Some prefer to do it because it helps with aim but other than that there is no medical reason to do so.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM

My son has constipation and potty accidents. Or I should say "had". It has been a while. *knock on wood*. They were a regular thing until he was 7. He became desensitized to the sensations of fullness in his colon and that led to him not "feeling" when he had to urinate. Whenever we cleared up the constipation, his accidents stopped. Anyway, you probably already know that but I had to teach myself all that because I avoided doctors. I didn't want to hear doctors telling me his wetting problems might have something to do with his foreskin. Which one person did suggest and which is absurd.

Sorry I digressed. My son is 8 now and has never pulled back his foreskin while peeing. I have suggested that he might want to try it since his foreskin is quite long. I have watched him pee and the urine stream hits the overhanging foreskin and then deflects. It looks comical to me, like he is peeing at a right angle. So that was the only reason I mentioned to him. I thought pulling back the foreskin might help him improve his aim. But he's rejected my suggestion and that's fine with me. Peeing in this manner has never cause him any problems whatsoever, with cleanliness or infections.

#4 of 6 Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

There's sort of no "correct" way to hold your penis as you pee. Your son can do what he likes when he pees and the urologist should butt out!

#5 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM

I dated a guy for almost 3 years and he was intact.  He just peed normally, and didn't retract at all, so I guess it's just personal preference haha

#6 of 6 Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM

There's no reason for him to manipulate the foreskin while peeing. Just allow him to hold his penis whichever way feels natural. The vast majority of health professionals have no clue about proper care of a foreskin.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page