Foreskin problem.....my worst nightmare! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here are the details:

-Uncirc'd almost 4 year old

-taken a bath four out of the seven past days (explores a lot during bath)

-day 2 of really bad penis pain (woke him up out of sleep at 5am)

-Foreskin looks like it has a very painful swollen area (looks similar to a big mosquito bite)

-No fever present

-Only 'treatment' was to put a bit of coconut oil on it

Should I make an appt?  Terrified of going to a doctor and having to deal with the whole don't retract struggle.  Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

#2 of 4 Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

OH and in reference to why its my worst nightmare, I was *that* mom when my son who was then 3 months old and while tending to my other child his ped had forcibly retracted his foreskin (partially, I yelled before it went completely retracted).  So any appointments with foreskin and pediatrician makes my skin crawl! 

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

#3 of 4 Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM

It could be 1 of 3 things:
1)normal separation
2)bacteria has moved in due to separation since it can leave raw areas and his age is around when many boys do start separation (though any time is also normal)
3)yeast

Here is a thread that might help you figure out which it is http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 4 Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalieadw View Post

Here are the details:

-Uncirc'd almost 4 year old

-taken a bath four out of the seven past days (explores a lot during bath)

-day 2 of really bad penis pain (woke him up out of sleep at 5am)

-Foreskin looks like it has a very painful swollen area (looks similar to a big mosquito bite)

-No fever present

-Only 'treatment' was to put a bit of coconut oil on it

Should I make an appt?  Terrified of going to a doctor and having to deal with the whole don't retract struggle.  Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You say that your son explores a lot. Does he retract his foreskin? Is the swollen foreskin retracted behind the head?  If the foreskin is retracted behind the head and swollen, then it likely is edematous and your son has paraphimosis.

Paraphimosis is a medical emergency if you can't return his foreskin to the normal forward position. You should take him to the emergency room.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page