Intact Penis Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all!!!!  I have an almost 2 year old little boy who is beautifully intact joy.gif.   l have 2 other sons who were circ'd before I knew any better.  My question though is that my little one's foreskin does not retract at all.  Now...I was not at all concerned about it as I have always been told to leave it alone.  However....I work as an ER nurse and we have a little one who came in with an infection in his penis and everyone was saying it was because he was intact and his parents must not be caring for him.  I mentioned my son is not circ'd and after everyone gasped and asked why....I asked what they meant as far as not "caring for his penis".  They said that the parents probably don"t clean under the foreskin.  I said back that I NEVER retract Drew's foreskin and for that matter it does not retract at all.  They were all mortified and said I should be pulling it back and cleaning it daily.  Now....I have not...and he has never had an infection....but should I be concerned that it does not retract at all????

Alicia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

No. Some other members with access to info links will probably post shortly, but the average age of retraction can vary from toddler-aged to well into puberty.

Daily retract and clean...ack. That is so 1960s. Do some health care providers still recommend that? Wow.

Don't worry. What you are doing is correct. "Clean only what is seen." That's it.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#3 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hello, Alicia.  Welcome.gif

Your ds is very lucky that you have questioned those you work w/ & did not follow their advice. thumb.gif I imagine others haven't been so lucky.

You said you are a nurse.  There is a group of nurses called "Nurses for the Rights of the Child."  You may want to look them up for support as a nurse w/ an intact child & to possibly educate those you work with.

There is also the group, Doctors Opposing Circumcision, that have a number of educational materials.

Unfortunately, those you work w/ are completely wrong.  The foreskin in an immature penis is fused to the glans (much like our fingernails are fused to our fingers), which is part of what makes circumcision so bad - the foreskin is forcibly separated from the glans before amputation.  This is also part of what makes circumcision after sexual maturity less traumatic because the foreskin will most likely be separated already (not all males end up retracting, but most do by sexual maturity - even those who don't can go on to have normal lives, so it is not worrisome).  It is my theory (don't knwo that it's ever been studied) that the reason why you hear so many stories of "he just had to be circumcised at x age," is because of forcible retraction & the problems it causes.  It may not *look* like it causes problems in the beginning, but since the foreskin is supposed to be fused to the glans, it causes problems down the road.  It is also related to the incorrect assumption that a boy should retract by x age.  It's also my theory that the studies claiming a reduction in UTIs in circ'd babies is because the intact babies are forceably retracted & this makes infection, bacteria introduction, etc. likely.  

The penis owner is the one who is in charge of retracting, no one else.  As he gets older, he'll likely begin to play w/ it which will aid in the separation process.  Past puberty, if he isn't retractable, a hormone cream (can't remember what it's called) can be used to see if that will help.  Using this prior to puberty though will likely result in him returning to non-retractable once the cream is stopped.

Again, I think your son is very lucky that you did not follow their advice w/o question.  I think you are in a unique position to educate those you work with & possibly prevent other boys from being harmed.  Much like we don't clean the insides of baby girls (just what is seen), there is no cleaning required of what is not seen in boys.  

I hope you will stick around.  And, feel free to ask more questions.  You've got one lucky boy there!

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 AM

Mine and most everyone growing up, it will NOT retarct untill the age of 14 give or take 3 years eather way. The skin is actully really tight sometime it is fused togather. So here is what could have happend. Some people don't know this for some reason because of the awful practice of genetal mutilation and unless the doctor is intact and he grew up with it he wont know. SO ill tell you everything you need to know. It will not retract, you do not need to really do anything, if you give him a bath he is good. The inside of his skin is usully fused to the gland, by a similar piece of skin like if you where to get a sun burn on your lips. You can NOT force it back that only happends with Masterbation, in fact most boys just figure this out, 95% figure out what to do with naturally. SO here is what i think if you have a kid comming to a hospiutal and the parents can retract his skin and it looks like an infection. IT IS NOT, someone tried to force his skin down, ripping and reperating it from the gland. I was not even aware it goes down, untill the age of 10. SO you dont need to do anything. The whole gland has a number of anti bacterial thing it does, to stay normal. Here is a fact, I never had any kind of infection. Infection happens like it would in your vagina, the part people are tring to force open for no reason, is the same way. If they start putting stuff into their babys foreskin, they will just throw off the natural balance of the kids body throwing his good germs off and causing a yeast infection. Yeast, is everywhere, in the air all around you, bacteria good bacteria eat it and keep it at bay, messing with the penis at all will just cause you problems. DO not let any doctor tell you he has phomosis, EVER untill he is socially challanged and in his 20s. AND just a tip keep it in mind forever, Unless that doctor has a foreskin, the information he will give you is as useless as bird shi_+ on your cars paint. Anyway dont worry about it, your DOING WAY better then any of the parents around you. 

#5 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!!!

ALICIA

#6 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM

I live in an "intact" country, circumcision is very unusual here. Both my sons have their foreskins as they were meant to be. My oldest never had any infections or problems with his foreskin or his penis, while my youngest, who is 6, to our surprise had a UTI recently. Here, in a country where no one circumcises apart from for religious reasons, our family doctor had NEVER seen a UTI in a boy before. But, she said, girls have them all the time. We got a cream and antibiotics and were told to give him a bath with a special soft soap twice a day, and the UTI cleared up within two days. There was no mention of retraction, and the foreskin was of course not blamed for the infection. The doctor did not touch my son's penis.

No one here retracts their sons' foreskins. No one worries about them. We give our sons a bath and that's that, we don't ever touch their penis. They figure it out themselves. No one ever talks about whether their son is retractable or not - they get retractable when they are meant to, it is not an issue. There is no "intact care".

Kudos to you for protecting your son and standing up for what is right!

#7 of 8 Old 06-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsmom0105 View Post

Hello all!!!!  I have an almost 2 year old little boy who is beautifully intact joy.gif.   l have 2 other sons who were circ'd before I knew any better.  My question though is that my little one's foreskin does not retract at all.  Now...I was not at all concerned about it as I have always been told to leave it alone.  However....I work as an ER nurse and we have a little one who came in with an infection in his penis and everyone was saying it was because he was intact and his parents must not be caring for him.  I mentioned my son is not circ'd and after everyone gasped and asked why....I asked what they meant as far as not "caring for his penis".  They said that the parents probably don"t clean under the foreskin.  I said back that I NEVER retract Drew's foreskin and for that matter it does not retract at all.  They were all mortified and said I should be pulling it back and cleaning it daily.  Now....I have not...and he has never had an infection....but should I be concerned that it does not retract at all????

Alicia

Alicia:

You are correct  and they are wrong. This little story illustrates the appalling level of ignorance in the American medical community.

#8 of 8 Old 11-03-2013, 07:31 AM

I am intact and I couldnt retract my foreskin until I was around 6 or 7. I dont really see a problem and definitely suggest not pulling it back as some others said that it is fused together. Just wait till its possible too with no pain.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page