Venting- Need an educated pediatrician in PA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am coming to the conclusion that there are no doctors in central PA who are educated on the care of intact boys. My current pediatric group and the one I interviewed today all think that my 8 year old is "behind the curve" because he is not retractable at all. You can't even see a little hole where he pee's from. And he balloons. So I've got the "maybe there is back pressure on the kidneys" you should see a urologist, from them as well. Oh and then the Dr also said he was worried the foreskin would fuse together if he didn't start pulling it back.  They have told me if he ever gets an infection he'll need to be circumcised. 

It is so frustrating that I cannot find a Dr in this area who is educated in these matters.

If anybody knows of any good doctors in central PA please share!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Sorry to hear of your difficulties!  When I saw PA, I thought I could help.  We're in SE PA though.  Have you tried The WHOLE Network for a provider?  I believe they have a list.  NOCIRC may as well.  Other than that, can you call around to any local midwives and ask them for suggestions?  Or, DoctorsOpposingCircumcision.com; maybe they have a list or a contact where you can ask if they know of anyone.

I've seen it recommended before to find a non-American doctor, I'd imagine one who is not Muslim or Jewish, in the likelihood that they would still have their foreskin, be from a non-circing culture & therefore be more knowledgeable than a male doctor who does not have his foreskin. 

Hope you're able to find someone!

Best wishes,

Susanne

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions! I have checked the lists you mentioned but I didn't think to ask local midwives.And I have been searching around for non-American doctors too. My oldest son was born in Germany, on a military base, but even the American doctor there seemed to favor no circ., which was why I didn't end up circumcising. Would love to go back if only to be part of a culture that understands foreskin is not a big deal! And I would really like to walk into my current ped with a stack of the literature that refutes everything they believe to be a problem and tell them to read up!

#4 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hmmm, you can get a penis pack from The WHOLE Network; I believe they have them specifically for health care providers as well as for expectant parents.  There are a number of handouts you can print on NOCIRC.  And, Doctors Opposing Circ may have things to print as well.  

It's frustrating when you know more about your child's problem than the HCP.  I've been there, multiple times.  Makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.  Your ds is lucky you're on top of things!  And, that's awesome about the doc in Germany.  

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 6 Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 AM

As long as you can prevent the doctors from retracting him then it doesnt matter what they think. If your son does experience a problem then there are many resources for you to look for on the internet and acquiring the appropiate remedies should not be particularly difficult.

Central PA likely has the highest circumcision rate in the state, so i suspect that your chances of finding an educated doctor near you are very small.

#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmmom View Post

I am coming to the conclusion that there are no doctors in central PA who are educated on the care of intact boys. My current pediatric group and the one I interviewed today all think that my 8 year old is "behind the curve" because he is not retractable at all. You can't even see a little hole where he pee's from. And he balloons. So I've got the "maybe there is back pressure on the kidneys" you should see a urologist, from them as well. Oh and then the Dr also said he was worried the foreskin would fuse together if he didn't start pulling it back.  They have told me if he ever gets an infection he'll need to be circumcised. 

It is so frustrating that I cannot find a Dr in this area who is educated in these matters.

If anybody knows of any good doctors in central PA please share!

A pretty good list of intact friendly physicians has been established at:

http://www.thewholenetwork.org/intact-friendly-doctors.html

The Pennsylvania page at:

http://www.thewholenetwork.org/5/category/pennsylvania/1.html

has eight doctors listed.

You may also show them this page:

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/info/retraction.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page