Help! Infected penis? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son 2.5, intact, healthy, has had something suspect going on with his penis for 5 days now. It is red, swollen and a there is a bump(or raised swollen area) under his foreskin looks like behind the head of the penis. He had a fever on day 2 but since then no others. He has no pain peeing and has been in good spirits for last 2 days. It is very sore to the touch. I have been bathing him 2-3 times daily with a cup of salt and a herb-ball in cheesecloth. I did a comfrey press on the area and been using coconut oil with lavender & chamomile essential oils. That all seems to help but we are still at day 5 with not much improvement. Not worse either. I'm terrified to take him to the hospital for obvious reasons and now even more terrified reading some articles here. I found one that mentioned MRSA and feel like I can't breath because his uncle has fought that for years and changed his diaper the night before this all stArted. Please can anyone give me advice on what I should do. It's 4:30 am & I have literally been loosing sleep about this tonight so thought I'd throw it out there...
#2 of 4 Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM

If he's not overly uncomfortable I think it is reasonable to treat it at home and take him to an intact friendly dr. if it gets worse. Between my 3 sons we've had two infections that needed treatment. One was yeast and the other bacterial so obviously different treatments. Putting lots of natural stuff on it might be irritating. Have you tried just a plain water bath with no soap and then lots of airing out by letting him go with no underwear or diaper on? We've had lots of luck with this in the past.

I totally agree with avoiding hospital and would try to get in with a dr. who is knowledgable about intact boys if it gets worse.
#3 of 4 Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 PM

It sounds like what my 6 year old had a couple of weeks ago. The doctor said it was a UTI and prescribed baths twice daily with "soft soap" (a special soap), a cream and antibiotics. It cleared up in less than two days. I live in a non-circing country and the doctor said UTIs are very rare in boys - in fact she had never seen it in a young boy before, although girls have it "all the time". 

There was no mention of or touching of DS's foreskin! 

I second the suggestion of foreskin-friendly doctor.

#4 of 4 Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 PM

All 3  of my boys are intact as is my DH. They all have had issues that sound similar. After trying everything possible and then eventually taking them to the dr. to be treated for yeast. I keep Monistat on hand now. When they start complaining of symptoms, I have them shower and clean the area really well and then dry thoroughly then put the cream on it. It works every time. A

ir drying is also a plus :)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page