concerned about my sons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My boys are 11 and 9 and intact. their foreskins only retract to the base of the glans or head of the penis.

I am worried that it is not normal and should have already been retractable. my fiance(not the bio father) is intact and says he thinks they may need to see a doctor because his foreskin was retractable from very early childhood, so I am torn as to what to do. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 AM

I'm sure others here will know more than I do, but I've read, here actually, that sometimes their foreskins don't fully retract until they hit puberty, and some don't even fully retract until they're adults, and some don't even fully retract at all. Have I got that right, everyone?

So..you  shouldn't need to worry :)

Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They may not fully retract until puberty.  There is great variation in when foreskins can retract.

Even if they do not retract when they are adults, they may not find it a problem.  I think I read that about half the men with unretractable foreskins do not find that a problem. 

If they feel that is a problem when they are an adult, then there are stretching excercises that can correct this.  If the excersizes are not sufficient, then there are steroid creams that can be used to help.

They definitely do not need to see a doctor yet.  Be very wary of any doctor's advice in the US.  Most are totally clueless about foreskins and give them no value, so simply recommend amputation.

Here is some additional information:

http://www.nocirc.org/publish/4pam.pdf

http://www.noharmm.org/anatomy.htm

http://www.circumstitions.com/phimosis.html

Regards

Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much, yeah that was my instinct to not take them to the doc. the last thing i want to do is get them cut. thank you for the links :)

Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM

This information is from the Doctors Opposing Circumcision website.

Quote:
BASIC MALE ANATOMY
At birth the penis is anatomically immature and still developing. The foreskin adheres to the glans, (the little firefighter’s hat at the end) because of a natural connective membrane, the balano-preputial lamina. This membrane or synechia is apparently nature’s method of protecting the highly nerve-supplied portion of the maturing penis from feces, the ammonia in urine, and other irritants and pathogens. This membrane can take as long as 18 years or more to disappear allowing retraction. The mean age for natural foreskin retraction without pain or trauma is 10.4 years.1 Some men never see their glans until they are in the 20’s. [Admin note: Edited for Copyright Violation. Quotations may not be more than 100 words unless you have the express permission of the author.]    

You can read more about the development of the male foreskin and about the harms of forcible retaction here:http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/info/info-forcedretraction.html

Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM

I was around your older son's age when the remaining natural adhesions around the corona finally gave way during my own, um, explorations. The coronal adhesions, in my opinion, are rather different in nature than the synechia between the glans surface and the inner foreskin surface. There were a couple of surprises at the time which I don't know if it's OK to mention here (neither one remotely sexual). But it all worked out well and I still believe I was on a fairly normal schedule of development.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Totally normal. My own son 8.5 has a loose foreskin but it still has the end closed so he can move it around but not pull it back. I only know because he showed me last night lol. Some will be loose on one side, some will have the ending muscle loosen before the shaft skin, some will retract early and some will retract late. It doesn't matter how their bodies work it out, or when.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My 7 year-old wasn't able to retract his at all until a couple of months ago when he was playing with it (boys will be boys), and he accidentally forcibly separated it, much to his distress.  He complained of stinging pain for almost a month!  I just kept putting him in the bath, and telling him to rinse it with clean water after he would pee.  I put neosporin on it once to be sure it didn't get infected.  Now, 2 months or so later, he's very excited that it now retracts almost all the way.  I don't recommend forcible retraction, of course, as it was quite painful to him.  He probably would not have retracted naturally for another year or more- I guess we'll never know.  But his little brother, who is 2.5, is already fully retractable (and without forcing it).  They like to compare, and are very proud of how far back their foreskins go, lol.  The point is, it's all in the scope of normal.  Don't fret!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsweetie83 View Post

My boys are 11 and 9 and intact. their foreskins only retract to the base of the glans or head of the penis.

I am worried that it is not normal and should have already been retractable. my fiance(not the bio father) is intact and says he thinks they may need to see a doctor because his foreskin was retractable from very early childhood, so I am torn as to what to do. 

There is extreme variation in what is normal regarding foreskin retraction. At one end of the spectrum, a very few boys are born with a retractable foreskin. At the other end of the spectrum, the foreskin may not become retractable until the end of puberty at age 18. The vast majority fall somewhere in between. The average age of first foreskin retraction has been found to be 10.4 years by several studies. Your boys are both within the normal range.

After age 18, a non-retractile foreskin might be considered pathological by some, but not be others.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
So glad someone asked this! I have a 3 week old and was wondering when is normal age for retraction. Every one else in the family is circ.ed and thought it strange that I insisted on NOT retracting it during diaper changes

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

am concerned too about my son, and looking for information

he's intact, has been retracting in the bath since age 3 or 4 so as to "clean " with a bit of bath water

but now he's grown up physically, he's nearing 12 and i've just noticed that he cannot retract anymore ...

since i've spent more than 6 years thinking it was a "normal" basic hygiene practice to retract, rinse and push back the foreskin....

am now worried about what his bath routine should involve ...

any advice ?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM

If they're not in diapers anymore, no one should be touching or looking at their penis wink1.gif

I don't mean that to be prudish or judgmental, but it's a self-cleaning organ which doesn't require attention. No one needs to be preoccupied with whether or not it's retracting far enough or behaving in a certain way. 

How would a 12 year old girl feel if her parents followed her into the shower and started making sure things are ok down there? blush.gif

Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

am concerned too about my son, and looking for information

he's intact, has been retracting in the bath since age 3 or 4 so as to "clean " with a bit of bath water

but now he's grown up physically, he's nearing 12 and i've just noticed that he cannot retract anymore ...

since i've spent more than 6 years thinking it was a "normal" basic hygiene practice to retract, rinse and push back the foreskin....

am now worried about what his bath routine should involve ...

any advice ?

You seem worried.  How does your ds feel about this?  IMO, we are way over worried about "washing," especially of genitals, & even more so of boys genitals (perhaps to counter the bs that circ'd boys are cleaner, somehow?  Sure, when you don't have it, it can't get "dirty." angry.gif ).  If your ds is concerned about it, I'd recommend he do nothing w/ it.  Like a PP'er said, it's a self-cleaning organ.  I liken it to our eyes.  Self cleaning, has a protective cover, they kind of take care of themselves when we leave them alone winky.gif.  If he is concerned about it, perhaps some time & it being left alone will help it.  If you have an intact friendly doctor whom you *know* knows about normal development, the two of you (or likely just your son) may want to talk to him.  If, after he's gone through puberty, then the steroid cream that is sometimes mistakenly prescribed to prepubescent boys can be tried.  There are other things that are possible "treatments" too, should it come to that.  Lastly, there are men who make it to adulthood who don't retract & go on to father children & lead happy lives.  It is not a requirement. innocent.gif

It's hard not to worry, especially when we're told our sons' foreskins are ticking time bombs.  I don't think his is going to explode though & he'll likely be okay!  He's lucky he has a mother who left him as he was made & is so concerned about him! thumb.gif

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 AM

thank you both for the re-assurance,

where i live, only muslims and jewish people have their boys circumcised, so a very small percentage of the population in fact => it's not much of a topic of conversation ....

have also been reading other posts in this Intact Care sub-forum and now realise that i have nothing to do ....

Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM

Absolutely nothing to do, IsaFrench. 'Benign Neglect' is the password for your son's healthy penis!

Christopher

Education is the discovery of our own ignorance. Will Durant

"You give a little love and it all comes back to you....

You know you gonna be remembered for the things you say and do."

Bugsy Malone

Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM

"benign neglect" .... i like the phrase !

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 PM

I wish I could claim ownership to the phrase (when applied to the concept of a clean penis). But I took the words from the US website: Doctors Opposing Circumcision:

"The notion that boys need special hygiene merely repeats an old myth that has led to much unnecessary genital tampering. Such a notion does not even credit evolution. If boys ever did need such care, that line of hominids never survived evolution as they would never have reproduced. Our primate ancestors did not waste valuable food foraging time cleaning their children's genitalia down at some river.

Penises are self-cleaning and have been for hundreds of thousands of years. Urine is sterile, and the interior of the penis is washed at each urination. The other secretions are are moisturizers and the body's first-line of protection against pathogens. Its appearance, just as it [is] in females, is no cause for alarm.

Many cases of UTI and other irritations and infections can be traced directly to genital tampering, not to failure of hygiene.

The notion that boys need aggressive cleaning is an invented one, which dates to the 1870s and was part of an advertising campaign for circumcision. The notion does not exist outside the influence of Anglo-American medicine.

Parents do best if they practice 'benign neglect' and leave their child's penis to develop on its own. The occasional bath is all the hygiene the child needs.

John Geisheker, JD, LL.M.
Executive Director
Doctors Opposing Circumcision"

So 'benign neglect' IS a clean penis! Nature's perfection at work.

Christopher

Bugsy Malone

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

This thread has covered it, but I'll throw in that my oldest son is 20, and I have no idea when, or even if, he started to retract. When he reached the point where he was no longer comfortable being naked in the public areas of our home (about age 8), his foreskin was still fused. He's never had any kind of issue that required medical attention, so I've never had any reason to ask him any questions about the status of his foreskin. He has a steady girlfriend and is sexually active with her, so I'm guessing he'd have seen the doctor if he, or she, had any concerns.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM

I think when they get older but before they get to the age where parents are not welcome in the bathroom-which varies between kids. That it might be a good idea for those with non retractable boys to mention to them that one day their foreskin will become retractable, that it isn't a good idea to force it and that if they reach adulthood and it's still tight that they can get some streroid cream from the DR and stretch it. My own son is 9 and non retractable and I have told him one day the skin will go back, which he wasn't aware of. I imagine being uninformed could be alarming, just like not informing our daughter of coming monthlies could also be alarming. It's easy for a 12 year old to think they are injured.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 PM

Lisa, your reply is yet another example of benign neglect! It's so easy, isn't it? Bolt.gif One step into normalcy - and all is well!

Christopher

Bugsy Malone

Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay View Post

Lisa, your reply is yet another example of benign neglect! It's so easy, isn't it? Bolt.gif One step into normalcy - and all is well!

Christopher

Agreed. I'm constantly taken aback by the existence of so much fuss over foreskins. They've never struck me as anything that requires special care.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 09-01-2013, 07:51 PM

And from a Mothering member who has well over two thousand posts to her name, your input is invaluable. Thank you!

Christopher (unhappily circumcised as an adult 11 years ago)

Bugsy Malone

Tags
Circumcision
User Tag List