17 month old's intact penis swollen and red - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 17 months old and uncircumcised. Tonight as I was changing him for bed I noticed that he is a little swollen and red. He doesn't act as if it hurts him at all. He is my first intact son and I do not want to page the peditrician over something simple smile.gif. I am completely happy with my decision for him and will do whatever's necessary to keep him intact. Could someone with experience tell me maybe what could be causing this and when I should call the doctor?
#2 of 3 Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM

I feel like I keep posting almost the same thing. One of the most common reasons is irritation from soap. Some babies are sensitive to laundry products if you cloth diaper or sensitive to disposable dispers as well. The best way to care for the intact penis is to wash with plain water, no soap, skip the baby wipes. Pat it dry gently and then leave it exposed to air for a bit. Don't put any creams on it.

Less common are bacterial or yeast infections. These will also benefit from the plain water snd air exposure but may sometimes need an antibiotic or antifungal cream or other medicine if they are really painful or uncomfortable. If the plain water and air drying aren't helping and it's getting worse or if it's really red with fever or rash etc. I would check with an intact friendly doctor. Many doctors are really unknowledgable. If you need help finding a doctor, check out

www.thewholenetwork.org/intact-friendly-doctors.html

Hopefully the irritation will get better and you can avoid the doctor.
#3 of 3 Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 AM

My intact sons had red foreskins and penises from time to time as infants.  No biggie, just treat as was already said.  Rashes occur when you keep someone in diapers. 

Regards

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page