Need help immediately - taking intact boy to ER with discharge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ok so my intact 17 month old had a swollen penis last night. The foreskin was red and i could tell the penis was swollen underneath. (It feels harder and looks larger than usual).

i just took his diaper off and noticed a foul smelling brownish discharge with some white chunky discharge disbursed throughout. i plan on taking him in, but just need some advice first.

Im not sure how serious this is and I do want to try and steer clear of antibiotics and I want to make sure the doctor doesnt retract ,unless retraction is ok in this case.

Im really scared - please help.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM

Do you have a family doctor or pediatrician that you can call on the phone?  Even though they likely aren't in the office at this time on a weekend, many are available via the phone. If I were in that situation, I don't think I'd go to the ER immediately.  I'd probably try a phone call to the MD first.  Good luck!!

Thing1Thing2 likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I can try. I was doing a little research, thinking maybe to go out and buy some monistat and try that just for the night. The roads are terrible right now bc of a small snow storm. We just got about 20 inches last weekend, and so im a little nervous.

#4 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Just texted his chiro - she has a newborn and its 9:30 pm here. Hope she doesnt mind

#5 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Chiro hasnt answered. Im worried. Any one have any advice? I see 31 people have read this post. And no one with an intact penis has never experienced this before? Now thats getting me even more worried!

#6 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

maybe i posted in wrong area.

I found this in case anyone ever finds this thread

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1101154/strange-smelling-urine-brown-spot-on-diaper-and-discharge-from-penis-uti

Gonna repost in case against...

#7 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Based on the information that you are providing it sounds like your son may Balanitis. Balanitis can be caused by infection or the use of harsh soaps. Balanitis can be treated with antibiotics in either a pill or cream form. With the proper treatment it disappears entirely and the individual the vast majority of the time does not suffer any long term impacts. It is very likely that you do not need to take him to the emergency room, because you are in the United States, they will likely attempt to pressure you into having him circumcised even though it is almost always completely unnecessary to treat balanitis. Even though you may want to avoid antibiotics, they are very useful and important for treating balanitis and I would recommend contacting his doctor or someone else that can properly diagnose him and provide you with the treatment necessary.

I have very little doubt that your son will recover from this completely fine, even though this may be scary for you, you should calm down as antibiotic treatment has a very high success rate.

Good luck to you and your son.

Also, forced retraction is effectively never necessary and anyone who recommends it clearly is uneducated about the foreskin. This information is taken from the doctors opposing circumcision website.

Quote:
Forced retraction is only rarely defensible. Inguinal hernia, undescended testicle, hydrocele, and varicocele can all be addressed without forcible retraction. The penis should be repositioned for any necessary intervention with sterile tape, not by inserted hemostat. Catheterization can be done by 'feel,' without retraction. Only in the instance of significant hypospadias or epispadias (congenital malposition of the urethral opening) might retraction be necessary and even then only if it is unavoidable collateral damage for which there should be specific follow-up care.

You can read more about forcible retraction here: http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/info/info-forcedretraction.html

#8 of 11 Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

i read your post but have no idea what it could be. you sound really worried and just follow your heart on what to do. i hope you have found some resolution by now and i'd like to know what it is your son is experiencing. it's so worrisome sometimes having an intact son and feeling like the minority. please let us know if everything is better. okay,sending positive vibes your way mama!

#9 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How are things now? What did you discover or do?

#10 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking. We never had to go to the ER. I gave him an epsom salt bath and probiotics. The "discharge" only was in his diaper twice. The next day the swelling went down and his diaper looked normal. His chiro contacted me that night saying to wait till morning, since he was acting fine and didnt have a fever.

She said it might be blood from a possible retraction (think my 4 year old and DS playing in the bath together).

So now he is perfectly fine! Im SO relieved!

#11 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

good to know!!!!!!what a relief!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page