Intact boy starting daycare in Ontario, Canada? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I see so many of these threads about children being injured by people unfamiliar with intact boys. I was just wondering if anyone in Ontario, Canada has had any problems?

Since intact is seen as "normal" here, do I need to worry about giving anyone who cares for him special instructions... or will people just think I'm weird? smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I don't have experience w/ day care nor am I in Canada.  But, dh & I were just talking tonight at dinner about how people expect others to care for their children like they would.  I would not take for granted that the day care workers know what you want done w/ your son.  

Have you looked through all of their information on diapering?  If they haven't given anything to you (& they do not have anything listed on their website), then I would call (or go to talk) & ask to speak to whomever is in charge of the room your son will be in to ask what the diapering procedure is.  Then you can decide what to say from there.  A simple, "how do you handle an intact penis?" would probably get you on your way to finding out how they handle things.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 4 Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I live in NS, which has a very low circ rate. Even so, I mentioned it to the director when my son started day care. She just laughed and said, "Of course we leave the penis alone. No need to mess with it. In my 30 years running this day care, I think we've had about 3 boys who were circumcised, so we are very familiar with the normal penis."

But it still made me feel better to have mentioned it.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#4 of 4 Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I see so many of these threads about children being injured by people unfamiliar with intact boys. I was just wondering if anyone in Ontario, Canada has had any problems?

Since intact is seen as "normal" here, do I need to worry about giving anyone who cares for him special instructions... or will people just think I'm weird? smile.gif

TThe Ontario Health Insurance Plan stopped paying for non-therapeutic infant circumcision in 1994. In 2006, the circumcision rate in Ontario was reported to be 43 percent, wh means that 57 percent of boys were intact. 

The circumcision rate has probably dropped some more since 2006 as the long term trend is down.

I I would imagine that the personnel are quite familiar with intact foreskinned boys.

T

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page