foreskin red/slightly irritated looking at the very tip (3.5 mos) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,  DS has had a pinkish-to-reddish tip before, but it comes and goes so I never thought much of it.  But today right around the tip his foreskin looks pretty irritated, redder than usual and when I first looked there seemed to be a tiny bit of skin almost flaking off (gone now).  It doesn't seem to bother DS at all, it doesn't hurt him to pee (we EC part-time, and he never cries while peeing) and his pee looks normal, but still, it concerned me.  Granted, yesterday he was next to a VERY wet cloth liner for a while, unfortunately, because we were traveling and I had no place to change him, so maybe it's a bit of diaper rash?  I rinsed his penis, dried it carefully and put some coconut oil on it, wondering it it was some kind of yeasty or diaper-rash-y thing...is this normal?  Normal-ish?  Should I soak him in the bath tonight?  At what point should I worry?  Thanks - this foreskin stuff is new to me :)

#2 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 AM

I wouldn't worry about this, it's probably just diaper rash.

I'd just soak it in plain water, and give him lots of diaper free time--guessing you do this already--and really let it air out. It happens to the best of us, and it make take a few days to go away completely.

#3 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 AM

If you're concerned about his diapers being infected, then it wouldn't hurt to strip 'em. Otherwise, plain water and airing out should do the trick :)

#4 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This has happened to my son a few times since he was a baby. For us, it cleared right up with some yeast remedies (paste of probiotics have been the most successful). Good luck!

Rachel

#5 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much, all!  It did clear up with air, and a little bit of virgin coconut oil.  

Rachel - could you clarify what you mean, paste of probiotics - literally, just a paste made out of probiotic powder?

#6 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Steph - yea. Quite literally I broke open a probiotic capsule and added as much water to make a paste.

Then I put this right on the tip. Coconut oil is antifungal too so that was a great idea. For really stubborn yeasty rashes, I have added probiotics to coconut oil and also added grapefruit seed extract, tea tree oil or other anti-fungals.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page