Is 2 years old too young to BEGIN separation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we were watching tv after dinner, and my son starts grabbing at himself through his underwear and fussing a bit(he doesn't have many words yet). I thought he had to pee because he's been EC'd, so I pottied him and sure enough he had to go, but still kept grabbing at himself after that. I checked him all over, nothing is inflamed or smelly, urine is fine. I wiped him down with quite a bit of water, and he's since stopped grabbing at himself completely. I know 10 years old is the average age boys can start rolling back their foreskin, but I'm wondering is 2 years old too early to begin the separation process?

Not worried, and not going to the doctor's. Just a question, folks! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I could be totally off but I think yes because last night I noticed my son(26 months) has significant separation. He has been tugging for a few weeks and I didn't know what was going on. I actually started giving him more cranberries just in case. Anyway, I'll be checking back to see what others say.

#3 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 AM

What do cranberries have to do with separation?

#4 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronart View Post

What do cranberries have to do with separation?

I think she was thinking in case it was a urinary tract infection.

#5 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 AM

My 2.5 yo can pretty much fully retract now, all in his own. I didn't think it would happen this early but, if he can do it and it doesn't hurt him, there's nothing I'm going to so about it!

Also- my son loves playing with his penis, especially now that he wears underwear. Maybe your son is just doing that? We work hard to teach DS the rule: play with your penis in your bedroom or the bathroom and not around other people. wink1.gif

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#6 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

He's been tugging on his foreskin and rolling it for feels like AGES. Which is why I thought maybe it was the beginning of separation because I know doing that can start the process. And there hasn't been any trauma to it or premature retraction, so I'm not worried about it or anything, I was just wondering if maybe 2 years old seems to be a pretty average start to the separation process.

But I dunno.. like I said, after I wiped him down with quite a bit of water he stopped tugging at it completely and hasn't done it since, :)

#7 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 PM

Well, when my kiddo first retracted (maybe one month ago?) I did go and look it up. Seems that 2 is on the low end of normal. Most boys are a little older but some do retract as young as ours. Made me feel better. Who knows, maybe your son just felt itchy or something that day since he's not doing it any more!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#8 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sere234 View Post

Well, when my kiddo first retracted (maybe one month ago?) I did go and look it up. Seems that 2 is on the low end of normal. Most boys are a little older but some do retract as young as ours. Made me feel better. Who knows, maybe your son just felt itchy or something that day since he's not doing it any more!

..That could be true. His underwear is on the small/tight size currently. We haven't been out to a store that carries boys' underwear yet to size him up =\ We kinda live out in the boonies and are trying to limit how far out we go.

#9 of 12 Old 05-26-2013, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son was completely retractable (all by his own accord) by 2.5 - 3 years. 

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#10 of 12 Old 05-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Shortly before my son's second birthday I noticed that he was completely retractable.  It was just a fluke that I found out (family bath) since he wasn't all about his penis at that point.  Now, at 3.5 he can't keep his hands off his junk - that thing gets some serious love!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#11 of 12 Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I think my youngest was retracting by 2 & fully retractable by 3.  I'll admit it was a bit unusual to watch (I really tried not to!), especially since some parts were still attached, but he was having a good 'ole time & wasn't in pain, so I tried to wipe the surprised look off my face & just say a lot of "oh," & "I see!"  

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#12 of 12 Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 AM

My son started retracting at 2 years old but still isn't fully retractable at three to my knowledge (though at 3 we encourage him to play with himself in private, so maybe he can).

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page