2 1/2 year old intact boy complaining his penis hurts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My son is 2 1/2 yrs old and intact.  He is at least somewhat retractable, at least 6 months ago he had a good deal of smegma coming out from his foreskin.  A couple weeks ago he started telling me that his penis hurts.  He would only tell me this at diaper changes and didn't want me to touch his penis.  There was no redness that I could see on the foreskin.  I gently pulled back on the foreskin to see if I saw any irritation.  The head of the penis seemed really red, although I've read that is the normal color of an intact penis so I wasn't sure that should be of concern.  He continued complaining that his penis hurt and asked me to bring him to the doctor.  So I brought him to the peditrician.  I let the doctor gently retract the foreskin since I knew he was already pretty retractable, and he said there was "significant redness" and it was most likely just from being in a diaper and swimming in chlorine pools a lot during the summer.  He suggested retracting the foreskin and putting bacitracin on the head of the penis at every diaper change for about a week.  After doing a good amount of my own research I was hesitant to do all that retracting.  What I've been doing instead is giving him lots of baths and just letting him soak in clean water.  I've been putting some bacitracin on the tip of his penis without retracting the foreskin.  My thinking is that if it's just simply from being in diapers that would offer some protection as well.

This has been going on for about a week now.  He is still saying that his penis hurts (still at diaper changes only).  It seems like he is saying it to keep me from touching it though, and not because it really hurts.  As soon as I close his diaper if I ask if his penis hurts he says no.  When I'm changing him and I ask him for details such as where exactly it hurts he says that it's on the tip only, not on the end near his belly button.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?  Could it be that his foreskin and glans are separting more now and when he pees it hurts?  I just don't want to ignore something that really might be a problem.  But, I don't feel like retracting his foreskin at every diaper change is a good idea.  I realize that without seeing him you're all guessing, but I did bring him to a doctor already.  I was comforted by the fact that he said it's not an infection and that it was simply from being in diapers, but I just didn't like the course of action he recommended.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I don't have any advice really but glad it is not an infection. Have you tried letting him run around without a diaper for long stretches of time? Maybe this could lead to potty training a bit. Hope it gets better soon.

#3 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm actually planning on doing that tomorrow. This past week was really busy for us, and 3 days he is in daycare. I was hoping that might help too.
#4 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion smile.gif
#5 of 9 Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 PM

Sounds like separation to me. I would do the diaper free time and keep an eye out for swelling and discharge. I would also try some OTC monistat 7 day treatment on it in case yeast is present. If it isnt yeast it wont hurt but if it is then it should cure it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually contacted Marilyn at NOCIRC for advice and she suggested putting liquid acidophilus cultures on it at every diaper change for a few days, which has worked really well.  I highly recommend it for anyone dealing with the same issue.  We had been doing a lot of swimming in chlorinated pools during the summer which killed off some of the good bacteria causing irritation and allowing yeast to grow.  I just applied the acidophilus at every diaper change (without retracting the foreskin) and that was it.  Easy, and quick results.

#7 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinabro View Post

Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually contacted Marilyn at NOCIRC for advice and she suggested putting liquid acidophilus cultures on it at every diaper change for a few days, which has worked really well.  I highly recommend it for anyone dealing with the same issue.  We had been doing a lot of swimming in chlorinated pools during the summer which killed off some of the good bacteria causing irritation and allowing yeast to grow.  I just applied the acidophilus at every diaper change (without retracting the foreskin) and that was it.  Easy, and quick results.

:nod Lots of things can get the flora of our bodies off balance & since chlorine is used to kill bacteria, it does it's job.  I'd also say that giving him a high quality probiotic (an infant one, not an adult one since the normal bacteria of the body don't change to adult flora until the normal age of weaning, between 5-7 years old) and/or eating fermented (truly fermented - if you're unfamiliar, see here: http://www.wildfermentation.com/ ) foods.  Our bodies need lots of friendly bacteria to be truly healthy.

Glad to hear the topical acidophilus has helped.  Yay!

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#8 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

:nod Lots of things can get the flora of our bodies off balance & since chlorine is used to kill bacteria, it does it's job.  I'd also say that giving him a high quality probiotic (an infant one, not an adult one since the normal bacteria of the body don't change to adult flora until the normal age of weaning, between 5-7 years old) and/or eating fermented (truly fermented - if you're unfamiliar, see here: http://www.wildfermentation.com/ ) foods.  Our bodies need lots of friendly bacteria to be truly healthy.

Glad to hear the topical acidophilus has helped.  Yay!

Best wishes,

Sus

Thanks for the reply.  Do you mean giving him a probiotic just in general, as part of a daily regimen?  Or did you mean just in response to this type of irritation?

#9 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinabro View Post
Thanks for the reply.  Do you mean giving him a probiotic just in general, as part of a daily regimen?  Or did you mean just in response to this type of irritation?

You're welcome!  I meant in general (but if that won't work for you, definitely when he's got this kind of issue or is on antibiotics).  But, fermented foods would be even better.  And since you've seen the acidophilus work, you know that his body can use the help.  

This is a BIG topic and while it relates to the foreskin because it's another part of the body that is supposed to be inhabited by friendly bacteria, I don't want to take over this thread here. :innocent Feel free to PM me & I'll get you some places/books/etc. to read more. :thumb

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page