Need general advice from other parents please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My intact DS is 2.5 y/o and he has never had any issues, but I have noticed that his urine kind of squirts a little to the side and I am wondering if we are supposed to teach him to pull the foreskin back a little bit when he pees so that bacteria doesn't get trapped in there. I have not done any pulling back of the foreskin because it is my understanding that the child will naturally help that along in time...? Indeed, he does pull it back when exploring himself, so I believe it is at least partially retracted. Obviously, DH is circumcised, so this is new to us. Could someone direct me to some trusted resources online regarding intact care? Thank you so much!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I think my ds2 had this. He just grew out of it.  I dont think its a good idea to pull back the foreskin.  

Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My 2nd ds has always peed to the side a bit.  As he's grown, it's gotten less prominent but even if it wasn't, we'd just hold it so it goes where we want it to ;-).

Here's a sheet on intact care that's very general: http://intactamerica.org/sites/default/files/Foreskin_Care_Guide_for_Parents.pdf

Here's another that is more comprehensive: http://nocirc.org/publish/4pam.pdf

Here's a website w/ lots of links: http://www.thewholenetwork.org/the-foreskin-and-penis.html

I didn't read them from start to finish so I don't know if thye cover your concerns per say or not.  

Hope that helps,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Urine doesn't have bacteria unless he has a UTI, so don't worry about that. I'd only suggest to him he retract if it's messing up his aim, and he can do so comfortably.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

thank you so much for the advice!!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Most 2.5 year old's are not retractable at all so only encourage him to do that if he can do it himself comfortably, no one should ever pull it back for him as they can't tell when it will hurt. Urine is sterile and the foreskin is a self cleaning organ just like the eyes normally are. Pulling it out a little might help. Some boys foreskin, especially if long gets kind of stuck together so pulling it down a little can 'unstick' it.

User Tag List