Mothering Forum banner

Retractable 8y.o. Does he need to dry it??

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mlowry 
#1 ·
Soooo, my son who, a couple of months ago was not anywhere near to being retractable (he tried to pull his foreskin back in a bath tab and it was not even close to being retractable) showed me "the trick" today while taking a bath! His foreskin was completely separated now and he was able to completely expose the glans pain free. Woohoo! So much for doctors' ignorance that it needs to retract by 2 or 5!

But now what? I know that he does not need to do any special care at this point and that no soap needed. I told him to not retract it in soapy water, but only before soaping when the water is still soap free. I told him to always replace his foreskin when he is done playing with it. But my question is whether he needs to retract and dry it after the bath/shower. I mean, girls/women do need to dry their private area rather well from the outside to not create yeast-friendly environment down there, but what about boys? I would guess that unlike natural body secretion, trapping water in there can cause yeast. What are your thoughts on this?

#2 ·
I don't think water will be trapped. Just like inside the vagina, moisture is to be expected anyway. I would think retracting to dry off the glans would be just as uncomfy as inserting a towel to dry the vagina! We dry off only our external genitals. And it could cause irritation, which could then lead to yeast or bacterial infection.

#3 ·
Ds will be 9 in a few days and has been retractable now for about a year. Never even thought about water causing a problem and never thought about drying under there since it stays moist anyway. I would imagine trying to dry under there would be painful, dry, ruff towel + mucus membranes =
yikes2.gif

We woman do dry things off but we dont retract the clitoral hood to dry under it or up in the vagina, or at least I dont
lol.gif
The same rule would apply to under the foreskin. Dry what you see and leave the rest be.

#4 ·
Thank you, ladies. Well, one less thing to worry about ;)

My first husband (not the father of my son) was intact and he would retract to dry it. But I was not sure if it was really necessary, especially for a child. But then he (first husband) would also retract and soap it, too every single time he'd take a shower/bath (never had any problem with that either, by the way).

#5 ·
After a bath it be good if pull his foreskin back and let it dry. he can jest let some air hit it Or he can use a soft towel no need to dry it hard or to rub it that may case problems don,t get me wrong a bit of water not going heart him but it feel batter dry and it can help with any soap and stuff that gets under it . hope this help

jsave
:duck

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymama1976 View Post

Soooo, my son who, a couple of months ago was not anywhere near to being retractable (he tried to pull his foreskin back in a bath tab and it was not even close to being retractable) showed me "the trick" today while taking a bath! His foreskin was completely separated now and he was able to completely expose the glans pain free. Woohoo! So much for doctors' ignorance that it needs to retract by 2 or 5!

But now what? I know that he does not need to do any special care at this point and that no soap needed. I told him to not retract it in soapy water, but only before soaping when the water is still soap free. I told him to always replace his foreskin when he is done playing with it. But my question is whether he needs to retract and dry it after the bath/shower. I mean, girls/women do need to dry their private area rather well from the outside to not create yeast-friendly environment down there, but what about boys? I would guess that unlike natural body secretion, trapping water in there can cause yeast. What are your thoughts on this?
I don't agree w/ this. The area is naturally moist & unless one were to dry thoroughly after every liquid elimination, why would we need to after a shower? I don't believe in soap for the privates - it messes w/ the flora that are supposed to be there as well as can alter pH which in turn alters flora. I don't dry there much more than a pat & I was recently tested for yeast & had none that was on the test (there was something like 9 species tested for). I'm an anecdote but again, this just doesn't seem logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsave View Post

After a bath it be good if pull his foreskin back and let it dry. he can jest let some air hit it Or he can use a soft towel no need to dry it hard or to rub it that may case problems don,t get me wrong a bit of water not going heart him but it feel batter dry and it can help with any soap and stuff that gets under it . hope this help

jsave
:duck
Again, unless it is "good" to pull back & dry the glans after every urination, why would using water on the glans need drying?

Not trying to pick on people, these statements just aren't logical & I'm wondering why they're being made.

OP - good for you for asking questions!

Best wishes,

Sus

#8 ·
I am an intact male and it took me until my mid 20s to realize how important it is to dry off your penis after showering. If you leave water trapped between your foreskin and the head of your penis, it will start to smell funky. Odors have really never been a problem since I started retracting my foreskin and drying off.

#9 ·
Drying the foreskin's inner mucosal tissue after showering or bathing is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Further, a mother has no business retracting or encouraging her son to retract his penis.

The mind boggles at the thought of so-called intact men attempting to dry extremely sensitive mucosal tissue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.