5yo penis problem - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5yo just said his penis hurt when he pressed it so I looked at it. On the side it's kinda pink and swollen. I checked for signs of infection and there are none that I notice. Any ideas what to do for him or what it may be? Never had this happen before

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#2 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Odds are he is having separation. During that time he might have spots of pain an irritation. You can apply OTC bacatracin ointment to aid in healing and help protect the area a bit so that it dosnt hurt as much.
QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Odds are he is having separation. During that time he might have spots of pain an irritation. You can apply OTC bacatracin ointment to aid in healing and help protect the area a bit so that it dosnt hurt as much.

Thanks. I just talked to the nurse and she said that if it doesn't go away in 24 hours or if it gets worse to take him in. I am really nervous to take him anywhere because of the lack of knowledge about uncirc'd boys. Hopefully it is cleared up by tomorrow.

#4 of 8 Old 11-12-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Any insight would really be helpful... it's been a few hours, he's still complaining that it hurts after he pees and I cant get him to go to sleep. He has been able to urinate, there is no pus, no fever, no signs of any infection whatsoever just pain and swelling at the head and not the urethra. The skin still pulls back (he doesnt retract yet) to expose his urethra but the pain is still persistent. I really do not know what to do or if I should go to the doctor... I am wondering if this could just be the skin separating from the head or if it seems like something more. Any insight would be helpful, please. 

#5 of 8 Old 11-16-2013, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

How is your son now, OP?  From reading here, it sounds like it's possible its separation but it may also be something else.  Our genitals are supposed to b e inhabited by lots of friendly bacteria but most of us don't have the right balance of them due to a huge number of factors.  I speculate that a good deal of the problems that come up w/ intact boys who have never been forcibly retracted are due to lack of healthy, friendly bacteria in/on the body.  I can elaborate if you are interested.

What I've read has helped others who have been nervous about dealing w/ intact ignorant medical people is to just remind them that the foreskin is not the problem, what would they do if this were a girl?  It's highly unlikely that they'd recommend cutting off parts of a girl (although at one time female circumcision & other genital mutilations were recommended for girls here & it was legal until 1997, I think it was) although some insurance used to cover that.  You may have to become a broken record - circ is not an option, circ is not an option, lather, rinse, repeat.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#6 of 8 Old 11-16-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Actually the nurse practitioner gave him antibiotics and it cleared right up after the first day and now it's back to normal! I speculate it may have been from a scratch that let bacteria in.

BUT while the nurse practitioner was great his doctor at the follow up was horrible. He said that his father-in-law was getting circumcised because he is too old to care for his penis now. He also told me to retract the skin because my son is 5 and should have been retractae by now :/ ridiculous!

#7 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama8824 View Post

Thanks everyone. Actually the nurse practitioner gave him antibiotics and it cleared right up after the first day and now it's back to normal! I speculate it may have been from a scratch that let bacteria in.

BUT while the nurse practitioner was great his doctor at the follow up was horrible. He said that his father-in-law was getting circumcised because he is too old to care for his penis now. He also told me to retract the skin because my son is 5 and should have been retractae by now :/ ridiculous!

I believe it's Doctors Opposing Circumcision who will send out information to practitioners who are woefully ignorant as that doctor is.  He's "practicing" medicine based on his father's choices?!?!  I think it's The WHole Network who will also do the same. (Both have websites that are their names.)  I hope you'll stay as far away from that "doctor," as possible!

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#8 of 8 Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, def gonna look into that! I was wondering why he's discussing another mans penis to me and in front of my son! It made us both very uncomfortable. The problem my son was having had nothing to do with circumcision at all...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page