Mothering Forum banner

Yellow discharge intact 11 week old

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  joandsarah77 
#1 ·
This morning there was some yellow discharge in my son's diaper. His penis isn't red or fevered and he doesn't have a fever. I took him to his pediatricians office where I saw the on-call ped cause it's saturday. She obviously hasn't had much experience with intact boys as she was concerned that it didn't retract at all. We went to ER and had ultra sounds of his kidneys and bladder to make sure there was no blockage and since I haven't heard anything back and was allowed to leave the hospital I am assuming there was no blockage or back up. Anyone have experience with this? Thank you much.

#2 ·
The yellow discharge could have been urine mixed with smegma. I am surprised that they did all the testing over it without signs of infection.

I wouldnt think anything of it unless a fever or swelling develops.

Reactions: Night_Nurse
#3 ·
I agree w/ MCat that that was a whole lot of testing on some discharge that happened once. Wow.

As a mother of three, w/ the oldest being 11.5, I've realized that I don't have to worry about things until they come w/ other things or they happen for sustained periods of time or keep coming back. So, if someone has discharge once w/ nothing else going on, I watch it & wait to see. If it happens again and/or there are other issues (fussiness, vomitting, trouble sleeping, trouble nursing, etc.) then I need to look into things further. As a new mom, it's hard to know what to do & when upset & lots of stuff is warranted.

I don't know if you feel comfortable w/ the drs you're seeing, but there are places on the internet where you can find intact friendly ped/family doc names. If you go to the tribal area here, you can post asking. I believe it's The WHOLE Network that has a list too.

Best wishes, Mama.

Sus

#4 ·
I took him to his pediatrician last Saturday and she the on call pediatrician had no answers I was concerned it was some kind of infection in his bladder or kidney so she sent us to the emergency room with a prescription for an ultrasound it came back completely clear. There was no discharge for a whole day and a half and then there was a little more the next day.then it went away for a couple more days and came back a little bit for a day. When there is discharge it is not in his overnight diapers but only in the first 2 or 3 diapers I change during the day after the overnight diaper. I don't know its weird I am going to ask the actual pediatrician this Wednesday but if it stops I won't even have anything in his cloth diapers to show them.the best answer that I have been able to find on Google and other groups is that it may be smegma from his foreskin starting to separate on the inside I really have no idea

#6 ·
Not crystals. More of a thicker yellow discharge. His pediatrician doesn't seem worried, we have been back because it is only randomly there. Not every day and only two or 3 diapers during the day when it's happening. Definitely not dehrydrated. He is breastfed exclusively. No pacifiers or bottles and he eats at least once and hour. I bet I wouldn't even have seen it if I used disposable diapers, but since I use cloth it stands out more.

#7 ·
I noticed this a few times when my now 7 mo ds was younger. Just a spot of yellow where his penis was up against the diaper. I worried at first and then I realized it was poop residue that I didn't clean off well enough from the creases of his foreskin. Since then I just make sure to be diligent about cleaning when he poops (without retracting).

#8 ·
It sounds like urine mixed with smegma which is totally normal and nothing to worry about. You need to be very careful who you take your son to as some of them will retract as quick as a flash injuring your son. Infection comes with pain, fever, swelling in redness and really bad smelling discharge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.