Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Intact Care (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17426-intact-care/)
-   -   Typical procedures during newborn checks (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17426-intact-care/1401513-typical-procedures-during-newborn-checks.html)

neemoomommy 05-04-2014 10:20 PM

I have always been bothered wondering if my son would have been retracted by a nurse or doctor as part of a routine "check" of a newborn's anatomy either at birth or during a later exam.  Does this usually occur?  Would they be checking for a normal urinary opening or something along those lines?  I had stated in my birth plan that there was to be no manipulation of the foreskin.  I don't know if every person in contact with him would have seen it.  I was not with him during the mandatory nursery times in the mornings 6 to 9 am.  The nurse was very supportive when I kept expressing my concern about him getting "circumcised by accident" and put a little hand written "no circ" on his bassinet and assured me about the consent forms being required.  Looking back I should have insisted they come to see him in the room with me.  For the record we have had no issues up to this point (27 months).  He has had ballooning for over a year now when he pees.  He appears to be fully separated but the little sphincter is still tight except during urination.  I know that is normal and may continue until puberty.  I do know someone thru someone else that works as a nurse in this nursery.  I am trying to get in contact with her to see if she knows if this is routinely done.  Other than his time in the nursery I know he has never been retracted.  Thanks for your input.

tracyamber 05-06-2014 09:01 PM

If everything seems okay why are you worrying so? Hugs to you mama. None of us needs extra stress. I was with my son and or my dh the whole time and we never saw my son being retracted. I don't think it is a standard practice on birthday. We also chose to bath at home but if he were to be bathed at the hospital that may be different.
Best

neemoomommy 05-06-2014 09:12 PM

Thanks for replying. I don't suppose I am really worried, I would just like to know he was not retracted. I know they check everything out to see it is in working order and I don't know if that would be part of the procedures. He was bathed in the nursery as well. I mentioned before that he has been experiencing balooning since about a year old. I thought that may be a little early but may not. He does pull and stretch the foreskin a lot so that may have encouraged separation. He does not retract yet. Thanks again!

mama24-7 05-07-2014 04:27 AM

So you're just wondering now but not worried/anxious/upset/some other negative-for-you emotion? I ask because if its something negative, I'd wonder what's bringing it up for you.

I'm not sure about normal hospital newborn procedures & I'd imagine they're slightly to vastly different from hospital to hospital. Have you looked at the hospital's website, it may be there. Or I imagine you could call the hospital to ask - they may tell you or you could ask them to email you a list. You could say you're a prospective mother & you'd like the info. Which isn't necessarily lying if you are considering having more & you'd like the info ;-).

I had a girl, my first, in the hospital & then two boys at home.

Lastly, if at all possible, I'd suggest you have a detailed birth plan to include the new baby not leaving your side. "Mandatory," anything is quite scary to me. Those kinds of policies are the opposite of taking into consideration the individual & each mom & baby are an individual.

Best wishes,
Sus

neemoomommy 05-07-2014 08:07 AM

Thanks for replying, I really have wondered and worried about it since he was there.  I had a bad pph experience and did not advocate for my wishes as strongly as I would have liked.  I told them I would like him to be checked in my room, but they told me they had too many babies at the time.  Their schedule is to bring all the babies back to the nursery from 6 am until either 8 or 9 am.  The hospital pediatricians examine them during that time in the nursery.  From what I could tell there was usually one or two checking all the babies.  I don't know what they would have said if I had insisted on keeping him with me.  Other than during the morning examine time the hospital encouraged all mothers to room in with the their baby.   Don't get me wrong everyone was friendly and my overall experience was positive.  The pediatrician on duty would come each morning and speak to you about how your baby was doing.  One did want to know why I was declining the hep b which I explained I was delaying.  She seemed a little miffed but left it at that.  I hope that I can reach my friends sister in law who works as a nurse on the mother baby unit at this hospital.  I'm sure she can shine some light on my queries. I have considered calling the hospital.  I have googled about newborn exams and such and can not find anything. I don't know if my ped would know.  She could speculate I suppose.  She is intact friendly and knows the damage caused by retraction. I would love to feel confident that he was never retracted.  It was in my birth plan that the babies foreskin was not to be manipulated, but I am not sure that everyone in contact with him saw it.  My best intentions were overshadowed by a life threatening complication.  After that I went from so high and elated to scared, shocked, and vulnerable. I can not begin to tell you how it feels laying on a bed being prodded and kneaded by panicking nurses while looking at your baby across the room who needs you and being totally unable to help him.  I could have died and I knew it.  I spent the remainder of my stay terrified that it would happen again ( and for the first few weeks at home).  Not to mention the weakness following major blood loss. I guess in summary it is important to me that he was not retracted. I was hoping someone on here may be a nurse, or be familiar with what is a typical anatomy exam procedure of a newborn.  May be I am concerned over nothing.  I know he has not been since we left the hospital.  I have read how damaging retraction can be even once.  It has taken me a while to process everything that happened. It left me traumatized for quite a while. I even told my gyn that when my period returned a year later it was causing me to have flashbacks. That lasted a few cycles.  I am ok now on that front. Thank you again.

EarthRootsStarSoul 05-09-2014 04:17 AM

He sounds fine to me.  And it sounds like your worry is a manifestation of your PTSD.  I have PTSD too.  Are you under the care of a psychotherapist? 

You could request a copy of your son's medical records to reassure yourself.  What if he was retracted?  What would you do anyway?  I don't think you could sue. 

CLplus1 05-09-2014 08:49 AM

I know you said you were ok, but if you ever need to talk you can pm me. I also had a pph, but at my homebirth, and had to go to the hospital. I can relate to some of your feelings.