Balanitis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy Balanitis?

My intact 9yr old developed severe pain when urinating (Weds), the next day saw a drop of blood after urination. (He turned pale and almost fainted!) Took him to urgent care (Thurs), they said it was balanitis and gave me nystantin cream, applied Thursday night, and 3 times Friday. It has not helped at all. A warm bath helps soothe the discomfort after urinating, but it's been 4 days now (it's Sat night), with no improvement. I switched to coconut oil today though, but so far no improvement. Any suggestions?

Last edited by galadriel; 08-23-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Details
#2 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Well, I think you need to have them find out what the infection is. Is it really yeast? Is is a bacterium? Can you go back and get it cultured? Is it maybe mechanical irritation, or some kind of dermatitis?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#3 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A similar thing happened to my son when he was 11. I was woken up in the middle of the night by him yelling for me. He had gone for a pee and it was obviously stinging really badly as he was holding his penis trying to let it out really slowly. The next day we took him to the doctor who prescribed antibiotics which cleared it up in a day or so. In his case there was no blood that I was aware of. You did not say if your son can, or does retract his foreskin. My son had been mostly retractable at 7 but it was apparent that his foreskin was no longer retractable at 11. Apparently this is not too uncommon for retractability to vary, especially around puberty. I suppose the other possibility is a UTI which I imagine would sting like crazy during urination, and again antibiotics should quickly take care of that. The problem that I see with Nystantin is that it is applied topically and may not get to the affected area. Just my thoughts.

Good luck, and I hope your Ds feels better really soon. Keep us posted!
#4 of 4 Old 09-13-2014, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
My intact 9yr old developed severe pain when urinating (Weds), the next day saw a drop of blood after urination. (He turned pale and almost fainted!) Took him to urgent care (Thurs), they said it was balanitis and gave me nystantin cream, applied Thursday night, and 3 times Friday. It has not helped at all. A warm bath helps soothe the discomfort after urinating, but it's been 4 days now (it's Sat night), with no improvement. I switched to coconut oil today though, but so far no improvement. Any suggestions?
How is your son now? I agree that in order to find out if some microorganism is to blame (bacteria, fungus or otherwise) a culture is needed.

From all the reading & posting I've done here over the years, I'm convinced that lack of healthy flora in & on the body is the root cause of much of the issues in intact boys. There are many, many things that contribute to a healthy system so I won't go into them. Topical probiotics may help when the flora is our of balance.

Best wishes,
Sus

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page