Ottawa-nian Introductions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

Here is 'a little about me', as I think this could be a good place to meet other Ottawa people.  ;)

I'm a mom to a 17 month old, and now 4 months pregnant.  Thinking to tandem nurse.  (Just ordered 'Adventures in Tandem Nursing' book - looks like a great resource!).  Nursing has been the greatest surprise of parenthood, as I had no idea what an enormous commitment it was.  Friends and family of mine nurse for varying lengths of time, and I definitely recognize & appreciate the trade-off's and limitations involved. 

I own a natural baby and children's toy + home store with my husband.  My interests include research into ecologically-friendly best practices; renewable energy, as well as other energy sources; sustainable homes & buildings; math, physics, future of human civilization in space (the long view ;> ), chemistry, and biology; education; and building better societies, local, national, global.  I'm an agnostic secular humanist, but my husband grew up with excitement over 'baby Jesus' in the nativity set on Christmas day, ;)  and we aspire to raise our children with understanding of the power of symbolism and rituals, and rhythms and connections to one's values through spiritual practice that includes honouring those values through one's own traditions.

Politically, I'm not aligned strongly with one political party, and see virtues in each of our political parties in Canada.  However, to my mind, environmental capitalism, that is a free market economy that takes into account financially the hidden costs such as future environmental impacts, seems to be the best solution.  I am saddened by many of the decisions and practices of the current Harper government in terms of their disdain for democratic traditions and communication and disclosure with the public.  I know they do it in the name of what they believe is right, but it is often not representing what I see as logical, realistic, and noble for the greater and individual good.

My univ studies were in physics, with grad studies in Germany in renewable energy engineering.  I did a B.Ed. here in Ottawa, which sorry to be a downer, but it was the saddest example in itself of education that I'd ever seen or experienced, except for a couple of shining star organized, intelligent, and inspiring teachers!  I strongly encourage parents to be very involved in their child's education, and get to know the teachers at their school and what goes on in the classroom well!  If you can, volunteer at the school as an opportunity to know what's happening and who the staff members are.  Be involved in their course selection.  Know the teachers they'll have the year ahead and be aware of potential issues.  Voice concerns to the teachers, department heads and VP.  Fight the good fight for your children, and offer loads of support for the education, socially and academically, as well as support for the noble efforts of good teachers and educators.  (Ok, I'm done now ;>).

After my children are a bit older, I'd like to return to the sciences, either in research or policy, or in education at the high school level.

We've lived in Ottawa for 5 years now.  Our close friends and family are Toronto-ward and we visit regularly.  We really like living in Ottawa though!  I am always happy to meet other like-minded folks in town. :) 

Cheers

Lisa

#2 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Hi Lisa!

Another Ottawan here :)

I have two DDs, ages 3.5 and 1.5. What store do you own?? I love natural children's products :)  We live in the East End.

I would love to see an Ottawa Tribe here on MDC, cause I think there are a good number of us, but somehow I've seen Ottawa thread start and die within a couple of weeks over the years...

Cheers!

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
#3 of 14 Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM

Close to Ottawa lol, I'm from Brockville. I have one son, who will be 3 in february. 

#4 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM

I'm in Kingston - not too far from Ottawa smile.gif
#5 of 14 Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM

Just moved to Cambridge from New Brunswick

#6 of 14 Old 02-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not of Ottawa-

Thinking of coming over from Vancouver-

Ottawa is an idea for a few specific reasons, I will not go into here, but it may be needed.

I am very specific about needs for my child's schooling. We have a democratic free school here that is publicly funded. I love the school and its community.

I looked up democratic schools and there appear to be only two in existence in all of Canada, ours, and Alpha School in Toronto. Toronto is four or five hours driving, which is not that bad except I gave up the car upon coming to Canada and do not really want another-

So,to get to the point. If unschooling/homeschooling is not a viable option, what alternatives that are democratic like are there- or are there? What do others do for alternative learning? My child is 6.

Any info about Ottawa is greatly appreciated if you all feel the urge to pass any onwards.

Thank you

Debe

#7 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

We really like the Great River Waldorf School here in Ottawa, but I also hear great things about the Stittsville Waldorf school.  Trille des Bois is a rare find: a publicly-funded Waldorf-inspired elementary school.  It's french-speaking, and there have been some issues among divisions in the school between English/French (I understand a lot coming from a current administrator that's not particularly invested herself in Waldorf-inspired values, but I don't know what's changed in the last year), and varying among teachers and parents between level of interest in Waldorf curriculum. 

However, I do know from doing my B.Ed. that there are some groups of alternative schools with more democratic schooling philosophies.  Not sure for what age levels, but I know some of them are even grassroots parent-organized.

#8 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidamama84 View Post

Hi Lisa!

Another Ottawan here :)

I have two DDs, ages 3.5 and 1.5. What store do you own?? I love natural children's products :)  We live in the East End.

I would love to see an Ottawa Tribe here on MDC, cause I think there are a good number of us, but somehow I've seen Ottawa thread start and die within a couple of weeks over the years...

Cheers!

Hi Lida! 

I didn't see your post til just now =D  Holiday rush at store consumed us a bit there.  We own www.nest.ca  

Arthur is 21 months now, around same age as your younger one.  Let me know if you'd ever like to meet at Aviation Museum or Children's Museum with the kiddos!  Arthy's napping in the afternoons these days, so AM's are good.  Our new one is due in ~6 weeks, and then maybe there'll still be some opportunities for a few outings while she's in her sleeping and nursing all the time in a sling phase.

Cheers ;>

Lisa

#9 of 14 Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeDeeDee View Post

Hello!

Here is 'a little about me', as I think this could be a good place to meet other Ottawa people.  wink1.gif

I'm a mom to a 17 month old, and now 4 months pregnant.  Thinking to tandem nurse.  (Just ordered 'Adventures in Tandem Nursing' book - looks like a great resource!).  Nursing has been the greatest surprise of parenthood, as I had no idea what an enormous commitment it was.  Friends and family of mine nurse for varying lengths of time, and I definitely recognize & appreciate the trade-off's and limitations involved. 

I own a natural baby and children's toy + home store with my husband.  My interests include research into ecologically-friendly best practices; renewable energy, as well as other energy sources; sustainable homes & buildings; math, physics, future of human civilization in space (the long view ;> ), chemistry, and biology; education; and building better societies, local, national, global.  I'm an agnostic secular humanist, but my husband grew up with excitement over 'baby Jesus' in the nativity set on Christmas day, wink1.gif  and we aspire to raise our children with understanding of the power of symbolism and rituals, and rhythms and connections to one's values through spiritual practice that includes honouring those values through one's own traditions.

Politically, I'm not aligned strongly with one political party, and see virtues in each of our political parties in Canada.  However, to my mind, environmental capitalism, that is a free market economy that takes into account financially the hidden costs such as future environmental impacts, seems to be the best solution.  I am saddened by many of the decisions and practices of the current Harper government in terms of their disdain for democratic traditions and communication and disclosure with the public.  I know they do it in the name of what they believe is right, but it is often not representing what I see as logical, realistic, and noble for the greater and individual good.

My univ studies were in physics, with grad studies in Germany in renewable energy engineering.  I did a B.Ed. here in Ottawa, which sorry to be a downer, but it was the saddest example in itself of education that I'd ever seen or experienced, except for a couple of shining star organized, intelligent, and inspiring teachers!  I strongly encourage parents to be very involved in their child's education, and get to know the teachers at their school and what goes on in the classroom well!  If you can, volunteer at the school as an opportunity to know what's happening and who the staff members are.  Be involved in their course selection.  Know the teachers they'll have the year ahead and be aware of potential issues.  Voice concerns to the teachers, department heads and VP.  Fight the good fight for your children, and offer loads of support for the education, socially and academically, as well as support for the noble efforts of good teachers and educators.  (Ok, I'm done now ;>).

After my children are a bit older, I'd like to return to the sciences, either in research or policy, or in education at the high school level.

We've lived in Ottawa for 5 years now.  Our close friends and family are Toronto-ward and we visit regularly.  We really like living in Ottawa though!  I am always happy to meet other like-minded folks in town. smile.gif 

Cheers
Lisa

I am fromOttawa too.
I like your store. ordered few times there!

We have a 3 and a half yo and a 1 yo.
working part time.
#10 of 14 Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

DiaperJunkie10 and kgpplus3, feel free to give a shout-out for a museum romp and beverage or picnic in the park if you're ever day-tripping in Ottawa.
Originally Posted by DiaperJunkie10 View Post

Close to Ottawa lol, I'm from Brockville. I have one son, who will be 3 in february. 

Originally Posted by kgpplus3 View Post

I'm in Kingston - not too far from Ottawa smile.gif

Hi lilitchka,  Oh, that's nice to hear.  We're in New Edinburgh area.  Let me know if you'd ever like to meet at a Bridgehead's or playdate outing.  Arthur's almost 23 months now, and he is pretty happy to interact with other kids.  Come Spring, we'll be picnic-ing at Rideau Hall almost every day in good weather, which is awesome for the kids to run around (no dogs allowed and the grass is so green and it's just a great big safe area for them to run carefree).

Originally Posted by lilitchka View Post

I am fromOttawa too.
I like your store. ordered few times there!

We have a 3 and a half yo and a 1 yo.
working part time.
#11 of 14 Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 AM

Hey guys!
Another ottawan. My name's Sophia. I have a 3 year old dd and our latest addition, a 12 week old ds. We live in the glebe, right by that awful landsdown renovation. I'm a SAHM and my partner commutes to Montreal every day (the commute is just as miserable as it sounds) so needless to say I'm in need of some like minded mamas in my life.

If anyone actually sees this I think organizing a meet up or playdate would be a blast!
#12 of 14 Old 07-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i see this

meetup is a good idea!

wow, DH commuting to Montreal is not funny! and having a new baby and a 3 y.o!

#13 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 07:49 AM

am also in Ottawa (from Toronto) - 6.5 and 4yr old boys here and live in Chinatown...moving to the glebe next fall so boys will be at mutchmor

I work weird hours and am studying acupuncture (I am an rmt)

I have met a few mamas from mdc but it's been a few years since I did a meet up, not really sure why as it was a tonne of fun and we met at brewer park

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#14 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM

wow...how did I never see this thread???  I have a just turned 4 yo girl and almost 8 month old boy.  Brewer park is a big hit in this house!  We are there almost every weekend.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page