Mothering Forum banner

Vit C and D in the winter

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Dr Neustaedter 
#1 ·
I have a a 2.5 year old who is not in daycare and a 4 month old who is EBF who is also not in daycare and I was wondering how much vit c and d do i give for the winter month and how much do i give when sick. Can you recommend any brands? Also anything else i could do to boost immune system?

#2 ·
Sorry, I did not see this post.

The standard vitamin D dosage for infants is 35 IU/ lb body weight. So about 400 IU for infants. But a recent study has shown that this may not be adequate and I think double that dose is safe. For toddlers I recommend 2,000 IU of D/day. I think that any high potency vit D drops are fine.

Vitamin C is more tricky. Kids do not like the taste of ascorbic acid or even buffered forms in powders, so they need to be flavored. I actually like EmergenC because it is flavored and kids will take it. I don't recommend chewable vit C because it can eat away at tooth enamel. I like to rely on food sources (citrus, strawberries, orange fruits). 500-1,000 mg /day is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.