Welcome to Mothering Mobile! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering Mobile! 

After a period of testing by our staff and technical team we have launched our mobile feature for community use! 

We know the main thing you want to do is just poke around and see things for yourself. So please dig in. Here are a few things you might find yourself wondering. 

How do I see the Mobile version?

1) Be sure you're logged in

2) Go to the homepage

3) Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Mobile"

Why doesn't it show me Mobile automatically?

Don't worry, once the introduction period is over, we'll automatically switch you based on what kind of device you're using to hit the site. For now you need to opt in manually.

I got switched back from Mobile to the standard Desktop site. What happened?

There are a few reasons this could happen:

•  You logged out.
  •  You cleared cookies.
  •  You visited a pagetype that we don't have a Mobile version for yet (such as reviews or image galleries)
  •  An error occurred. If it happens again, please report it!

Does the Mobile site have all the same features?

No. Mobile currently supports Private Messages, Forums, Classifieds, Member Profiles, Articles, and Site Search. Other areas of the site like Reviews and Image Galleries will be added to the Mobile version as it develops. 

What do the stars and dots mean?

This and many other things are described visually in our Quick Start Guide.

Nothing works on my phone.

We're very compatible with the default browsers in recent versions of iOS and Android. If you have an older phone, an alternative browser, or are using a different platform, like Blackberry, you may experience more trouble. Please let us know what you're seeing.

Where do I report problems?

You're in the Mobile Feedback forum right now. Please post problems here. Open a new thread for each issue you encounter. This forum is linked from the bottom of every page on the Mobile site. 

Happy browsing!  

#2 of 35 Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm loving the new look and it's much easier for me to navigate
#3 of 35 Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Love it !!!
#4 of 35 Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Hooray for mobile, I can finally participate!

May 2012: New Mama to L., my beautiful boy
#5 of 35 Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

awesome!

#6 of 35 Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 AM

What I've seen so far has been great. I love that we can now post pictures directly from the phone.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#7 of 35 Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 AM

AWESOME!

So much better than using tapatalk! THANK YOU GUYS!  Looks great and works perfectly on my android phone!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#8 of 35 Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I'm so glad it is so wonderful for everyone! joy.gif Please do report any issues you notice. We want to work out any bugs, problems, etc. 

#9 of 35 Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
So glad everyone is liking it. I was so excited when we first saw it!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#10 of 35 Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Thank you for this. It looks great and very easy to navigate.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#11 of 35 Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 AM

It works great. Glad that I didn't have to get tapatalk.

#12 of 35 Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM

I like it! Finally, a way to "like" posts from my ipad! I would like it if the mobile version displayed more info about posters, and # of likes on a given post.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#13 of 35 Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Thank you! Being able to visit when I am away from my desk means I can visit more often!
I am not getting notices when a thread updates if I have visited in mobile mode though I do if I visit in desktop mode. Is it intended to work this way?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#14 of 35 Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

mommajb - I'm not sure. That's the first time I've heard that brought up. I'll look into it and see what I find out. Thanks!

#15 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I am not getting notices when a thread updates if I have visited in mobile mode though I do if I visit in desktop mode.

The information about which threads you've read and which have new posts should be synced across mobile and desktop modes. In other words, it doesn't matter how you read the thread, it should be marked read.

I can't quite tell though if you are talking about read/unread or if you mean email notifications of threads you're subscribed to. When you say "not getting notices," which do you mean?

Thanks
#16 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM

For threads I am subscribed to I do not get email notifications if I read in mobile mode but I do if I read in desktop mode.

#17 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Okay, gotcha, subscriptions. But just reading a thread doesn't cause you to receive notifications. Can you elaborate a little?

You should get email notifications when others post in threads you've subscribed to.

Posting in a thread subscribes you to it by default (unless you uncheck the box). Do you mean that when you post in a thread on Mobile, you're not getting subscribed, and are therefore not getting emails thereafter? Thanks for the details.
#18 of 35 Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 PM

I almost always enter the forums by clicking on the link in an email notifying me of a new post to a thread I am subscribed to. It then shows that I am logged in to mdc. I read and look around if I have time before going on my merry way. I get these emails when I visit in desktop mode but it seemed as if I didn't after visiting in mobile mode.
I am no longer sure if it is or isn't working because I have been trying both ways and my usual thread is a bit quiet. Sorry to be unclear or difficult.

#19 of 35 Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM

I love it!!! I'll be able to participate much more!!!

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#20 of 35 Old 11-20-2012, 04:16 PM

I'm on an android phone and do not see the buttons on the home page to switch between mobile and desktop. I see it when I look for it on my desktop, but the buttons aren't there when I look at the same page on my phone. Any ideas? I'm using the "stock" browser on my android phone.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#21 of 35 Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

I'm on an android phone and do not see the buttons on the home page to switch between mobile and desktop. I see it when I look for it on my desktop, but the buttons aren't there when I look at the same page on my phone. Any ideas? I'm using the "stock" browser on my android phone.

Please log into the website when you are on your mobile phone. You will not see the button to switch between mobile and desktop until you're logged in. smile.gif

#22 of 35 Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 AM

For some reason, when I try to post or reply it capitalizes the first letter of every word.  Is that an app issue or is that a phone issue you think?  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#23 of 35 Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuddlerSteph View Post

Please log into the website when you are on your mobile phone. You will not see the button to switch between mobile and desktop until you're logged in. smile.gif

Doh. Thanks. I have it now. The mobile site is really helpful, thanks to all who worked to set it up!!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#24 of 35 Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I almost always enter the forums by clicking on the link in an email notifying me of a new post to a thread I am subscribed to. It then shows that I am logged in to mdc. I read and look around if I have time before going on my merry way. I get these emails when I visit in desktop mode but it seemed as if I didn't after visiting in mobile mode.
I am no longer sure if it is or isn't working because I have been trying both ways and my usual thread is a bit quiet. Sorry to be unclear or difficult.

Nothing to apologize for! Thanks for the detail. I did think of something that might be broken on our end. We actually don't email you for every possible update that happens on your subscribed items. If we did, most people would get dozens of emails from us per day!

What we do is: we send you one email, then we stop until you come back to the site again. Them we resume sending you updates.

Perhaps when you visit on your mobile that's not registering for us as 'coming back to the site.' That's something webcam definitely check out though. Thanks again for your report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

For some reason, when I try to post or reply it capitalizes the first letter of every word.  Is that an app issue or is that a phone issue you think?  

Once you're typing, things like capitalization and autocorrect are handled by your phone's operating system, not this website. Mine does strange things sometimes, too.
#25 of 35 Old 11-22-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilal View Post

What we do is: we send you one email, then we stop until you come back to the site again. Them we resume sending you updates.
Perhaps when you visit on your mobile that's not registering for us as 'coming back to the site.' That's something webcam definitely check out though. Thanks again for your report.

This is exactly it. Thank you for continuing to try to understand what I was experiencing.

#26 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I love the mobile site -- thank you so much for providing this! Browsing MDC on my phone used to be not worth the trouble, but now it's easy!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#27 of 35 Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

love.gif

#28 of 35 Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM

I am loving this so far, thanks! But is there a way to stay logged in? For some reason it makes me log in every time I visit.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#29 of 35 Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
It was doing that to me too. I switched to the desktop version, clicked "remember me", logged in, switched back to the mobile version and it seems to have been find since then.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#30 of 35 Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Ok... Let me preface this to say I LOVE the new mobile app!!

Is there a way to scale the type face? I am 44 and on my iPad and iPhone I can barely see the type face.

Thank you,

Member of the league older MDC moms!!

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page