This weeks Temperament characteristic is "Adaptability" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are eight characteristics of Temperament that range on a continuum from Easy Going (40% of all children) to High Need/Spirited (15% of all children) with Slow-to-Warm in the middle (30% of all children).

Each week, we will explore the benefits and challenges of each one. Sometimes we need to see that not always is the grass greener on the other side. Of my five children, two are moderately spirited, one is easy-going, one is extremely spirited (my last one) and one is slow-to-warm. This is a eye-opening exercise that we do in classes and thought it would be great to get a wider range of opinions. Please contribute what you see/observe in your children. Thank you from Judy

Adaptibility

What do you experience as challenges in parenting a low adaptable (spirited) child?

What do you see as benefits in parenting a low adaptable (spirited) child?

What do you see as challenges in parenting an easily adaptable (Easy-going) child?

What do you see as benefits in parenting an easily adaptable (Easy-going) child?

Judy Arnall
Author of "Discipline Without Distress", President of Attachment Parenting Canada, and Best of all, Mom of Three Adults and Two Teens!
http://www.attachmentparenting.ca
http://www.professionalparenting.ca

#2 of 2 Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here is my parent groups response to the characteristic, "Adaptability"

Adaptability

What do you experience as challenges in parenting a low adaptable (spirited) child?

My child challenges rules and the status-quo.  They can be perceived as "trouble-makers."

Change is very hard for my child.  Life changes such as moves, travel are very traumatic.

This characteristic could limit my child's growth because they could get locked into routines.

What do you see as benefits in parenting a low adaptable (spirited) child?

They are certainly not wishy-washy!  They have standards for acceptance of new ideas and situations and we certainly know

where they stand. They are rule-followers.

What do you see as challenges in parenting an easily adaptable (Easy-going) child?

They can be unfocussed and scattered at times.  They adapt easily to anyone and can go off with strangers.

What do you see as benefits in parenting an easily adaptable (Easy-going) child?

They are not rule-followers unless the rule changes.  They travel well and eagerly try new things.  They have less stress adjusting

to life's curve balls.

Judy Arnall
Author of "Discipline Without Distress", President of Attachment Parenting Canada, and Best of all, Mom of Three Adults and Two Teens!
http://www.attachmentparenting.ca
http://www.professionalparenting.ca

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page