This weeks temperament characteristic is "Moodiness" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you see as challenges in parenting a child that is highly moody?

What do you see as benefits in parenting a child that is highly moody?

What do you see as challenges in parenting a child that is highly even-keeled?

What do you see as benefits in parenting a child that is highly even-keeled?

Judy Arnall
Author of "Discipline Without Distress", President of Attachment Parenting Canada, and Best of all, Mom of Three Adults and Two Teens!
http://www.attachmentparenting.ca
http://www.professionalparenting.ca

#2 of 4 Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is an interesting subject! I have one child of each temperament. One is up and down, up and down, and intense and passionate; the other is always happy and relaxed and smiling.

The biggest challenge for me with the moody one is that I can be moody too and we sometimes set each other off. But on the other hand, the benefit is that she can be very passionate and joyful sometimes. The key with her is to check my own mood and try not to get set off by hers if it's bad, and just give her extra love and kindness when she's down. Also, if she gets upset, she knows what to do and how to take care of it. She demands that her needs get met. That's a good thing. I never have to worry about her being overlooked.

The little one is always happy and almost never gets upset. She takes after her dad, who is the same. The benefit is that it's easy to take her places and do things with her. She never had tantrums and doesn't get upset and need to leave places. She's just easy to parent in that way. But, on the other hand, the greatest challenge is that she doesn't even get upset when she should, and she is having a harder time learning how to behave properly. She does something that upsets someone (ofter her sister) and she sees her sister get upset, but is still happy and doesn't seem to really learn from it. She's only 4 yet though so she has time to mature. Also, I worry about her ability to advocate for herself as she gets older. Her sister gets what she needs, like the old cliche "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." I don't want the little one to not have her needs met because she is so relaxed and just takes what comes.
#3 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Mamazee:

Isn't it interesting how two children can be so different.  And when one child is more your own temperament, it can be quite a challenge interacting together because of your temperament "fit".  I tend to be on the "spirited" side and when my persistence rises and my spirited son's persistence rises, it can be rather explosive!  I try to curb my tendencies just because I'm the adult and have had more practice at it, but it sure is difficult sometimes.  Here is a photo of my 4 year old son's reaction when I said "no" to his request to have a bag of chips.  He proceeded to grind every last chip (and I mean every last chip - he didn't miss one of them) into the carpet.  It was all I could do to say, "Mommy is very angry right now and is taking a time-out," to go and calm down and break the power struggle.  After we both calmed down, I asked him to help clean it up and he did.  Somebody has to step out of the power struggle!

Warmly, Judy

Judy Arnall
Author of "Discipline Without Distress", President of Attachment Parenting Canada, and Best of all, Mom of Three Adults and Two Teens!

#4 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Here are what parents report in my groups on their child's moodiness:

What do you see as challenges in parenting a child that is highly moody?

Stressful for others to watch the negative moods

It can be difficult to get things done

Person is unpleasant to be with because of unpredictability

Hard to find peace

Others may not take them seriously, chalking up the issue to "moodiness"

What do you see as benefits in parenting a child that is highly moody?

The person becomes aware of their emotions and learns that feeling their emotions builds resiliency

Never boring!

What do you see as challenges in parenting a child that is highly even-keeled?

The person is less expressive and may be hard to read

Can be perceived as boring, hard-nosed or unfeeling

Even-keeled people may find it hard to understand moody people

What do you see as benefits in parenting a child that is highly even-keeled?

Less tantrums

More cooperation

Predictable and dependable

Judy Arnall

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page