The Case for Vaccination - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is a thread for us to collect useful resources (online or otherwise) which might help a unsure parent browsing our forum. It's nice to have a running list of good videos to watch, good links to ready, helpful studies, that sort of thing, for anyone who is looking for them.

Link away!

#2 of 10 Old 09-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I really like sciencebasedmedicine.com. They also have Facebook. They talk about things other than vaccination but you can choose to just read their information on vaccines by clicking the vaccines category to the right of their page.

Edit: I also think this wired article from 2009 is really good. It's a bit lengthy but worth the read. It may take you 20-30 minutes but has some great information from Paul Offit.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_waronscience/

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#3 of 10 Old 10-04-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like that website, too. I posted an article on mothering back in the day called the case for vaccination. I wonder if it's still around or if all the articles bit it during the redesign.
#4 of 10 Old 10-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Here it is!

http://www.mothering.com/community/a/the-case-for-vaccination

I tried to mostly stick to primary sources, but I know at least one other website, vaccine times, is mentioned. They had some good info but I think it's now defunct, or at least isn't adding more information. The anti anti vax website is also good, if kind of bare boned.
CherryBomb likes this.
#5 of 10 Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM

I like SBM, too. I know a lot of folks say, "it's biased!" They recently posted a list of their responses to such criticisms. 

Quote:

2. You’re biased.

Yes, we are, and that’s a good thing. We are biased in favor of science and reason. We are biased against claims that have been tested and disproven and that are incompatible with the rest of scientific knowledge. We are biased against health care providers telling patients things that are not true, presenting opinions as if they were facts. We are biased against using placebos because we consider it unethical. We are not biased against any CAM treatment just because it is CAM; we contend that there is only one medicine, that treatments have either been proven to work or they haven’t, and that all claims should be held to the same standard and tested by the same scientific method.

Yup. 

CherryBomb likes this.
#6 of 10 Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM

Thought I'd bump this up!  Anyone have any other links to add? 

I really like https://www.facebook.com/VoicesForVaccines for keeping up to date on vaccine news  and their website http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/  (you know when the anti vaccine movement starts devoting entire blog posts and threads trying to discredit a person/site that means it's effective) 

This one too: http://momswhovax.blogspot.com/

As far as videos,  I think the intro to the penn and teller vaccine episode is a really great visual about why it's important to vaccinate EVEN IF they caused autism (which they don't!)   It's a minute and a half long, and has some bad  language (anyone who is familiar with them is probably not too surprised by this) but thought I'd mention it incase there are kiddos around :) 

Anyone else have anything to add?  This board has been kind of dead for a while, so why doesn't someone try starting a new interesting topic! 

CherryBomb and rainbownurse like this.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#7 of 10 Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM

there's a really, really good article from married to medicine about vaccinations

#8 of 10 Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 AM

#9 of 10 Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 PM

Thanks for that!  It was a great read :)   Especially liked these parts: 

"Clearly, I can't run a google search on a complex medical topic and eventually cobble together a better answer on it than these two can.  Not even if I spent ten hours on it.  Not even if I spent forty.  Not even if I spent weeks.  They don't hand out medical degrees for running google searches.  Or for talking to midwives... or doulas... or anybody else.  Imagine if they did though, and you got in a car accident or you had a heart attack, or you needed a liver transplant or something.  Um... yikes."

"Why are you trusting someone with whom no other expert agrees, and who is making millions off of this, instead of your own moderately-salaried pediatrician(s)?  Okay I get it - you've had a crappy doctor (or doctors) before.  Me too.  But this debate isn't pediatrician-to-pediatrician.  This debate involves a clear, essentially unanimous medical consensus among all our leading experts.  When you vaccinate on time, you're not "just" trusting your pedi; you're trusting all the top experts on topics including virology, immunology, microbiology, statistics, epidemiology, pathogenesis ... and of course, medicine and pediatrics.  We're talking the guys who went to Harvard and the like, and got MD's and PhD's and devoted their careers to research, which generally pays much less than private practice.  truly hope that you don't think that you or I could come up with a better answer than they have, by googling or by doing other layperson "research."  If we were so capable, then what's preventing us from coming up with the next curative cancer treatment, which is another thing we can expect of Md/Phd medical researchers (like the husband I've barely seen for the past decade)?" 

Love! thanks for the link :) 

prosciencemum likes this.

#10 of 10 Old 02-02-2014, 05:40 AM

Shot By Shot is a good one full of personal stories from people affected by vaccine preventable diseases. 

Shot of Prevention is another good one.

A few of my friends are involved with Voices for Vaccines!  I plan on writing about my experience with HPV for the website (when I get a chance).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page