Article "Anti-vaccination activists should not be given a say in the media" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

I saw this today and was wondering what you guys think about it. Apparently a new study showed that when "balance" is given in the media about vaccines people are more likely to question the safety of vaccines.  Even more so than if the only thing they heard was an anti vaccine article on its own.  She makes the point that, say, if you were covering a story about circumventing the globe and you interview a geographer to get their view point you don't then get a representative from the "Flat Earth Society" to weigh in for balance.  It's called false balance, "a term to describe giving more time to opposing view points than the evidence actually supports." 

"In the study, 320 undergraduate students were assigned a news item presenting either claims both for and against a vaccine/autism link (false balance), a purely anti-vax "vaccines-definitely-cause-autism" article and a "there is no link" article.

Unsurprisingly, the participants who read the article saying vaccines cause autism indicated they would be less likely to have their children vaccinated in the future. But what was surprising was those who read the false balance article were even less confident about the safety of vaccines than the "vaccines-definitely-cause-autism" article.

The authors suggested the reasons for this may be that false balance elicits a stronger perception that experts are divided, or that experts truly are uncertain whether vaccines cause autism (let me make this crystal clear, there is no good evidence to support a link between vaccines and autism...)

I thought the findings were pretty interesting and was wondering what you guys think about it? Should the media stop giving "false balance" on vaccines? 

Edit: Oops forgot to add the link to the article http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/16/anti-vaccination-activists-should-not-be-given-a-say-in-the-media

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#2 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oops

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

@Dalia this is a support forum. Please read the support forum guidelines. 

"

Support Forums

The I'm Not Vaccinating, Selective & Delayed Vaccination and the Vaccinating on Schedule forums are for support only. Members should determine which forum best suits their needs and post to that forum to get and share information. These forums do not host discussions that denigrate, insult or otherwise negatively generalize about the vaccination advocacy or practice of others. " 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#4 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 03:57 PM

I'm sorry! I honestly thought it was the debate forum.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Np...

#6 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

Should the media stop giving "false balance" on vaccines? 

Not necessarily, but I do think they should make clear the backgrounds of the opinion-havers (on both sides).

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 8 Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM

I agree with chickabiddy. 

I do think an awful lot of what passes for science journalism is total crap anyway, and a frequent failure to cite decent sources, or represent sources correctly, is only one part of a manifold problem. This is by no means limited to coverage of vaccination-related issues. 

dinahx likes this.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#8 of 8 Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 AM

Loved the article. The idea of "fair and balanced" news has been a joke to me at least as long as FOX news has used the tagline. False balance comes into play on so many off topic areas - evolution, climate change ... but I like the flat earth society analogy.

C/S DD ( 9 ), VBAC DD ( 6 ), & a surprise little guy on the way in August '14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page