Another sad reminder of life before vaccines - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)

Saw this posted on a facebook page. How horrible and sad. 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#2 of 11 Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh no can you even imagine nearly a whole family wiped out like that?  So, so tragic.

#3 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM

This stuff always makes me think that avoiding vaccines for most reasons that people avoid them (that is, excluding a significant reaction on the part of that individual) is a privilege of those who live in a time and place where such experiences are vanishingly rare. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#4 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

This stuff always makes me think that avoiding vaccines for most reasons that people avoid them (that is, excluding a significant reaction on the part of that individual) is a privilege of those who live in a time and place where such experiences are vanishingly rare. 

So true.  Even today, your chance of dying from diphtheria is still alarmingly high.  According to the CDC, even with modern medical treatment you have a 10% chance of dying.  No thanks! 

Sometimes the risk/benefit logic that NVers use baffles me. They say things like " Well, only 1 in 200 people with polio became permanently paralyzed, it was normally a mild illness...becoming paralyzed from it was SO RARE"  But then think that the risks of having an allergic reaction to a vaccine (1 in a million) is somehow outrageously high. :dizzy 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#5 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 03:01 PM

I think part of that math is estimating their own odds of actually getting polio combined with the odds of being paralyzed if it did happen... but yeah, some of it is pretty mindboggling. 

Polio is natural, though, and vaccines aren't. headscratch.gif

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#6 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I think part of that math is estimating their own odds of actually getting polio combined with the odds of being paralyzed if it did happen... but yeah, some of it is pretty mindboggling. 

Polio is natural, though, and vaccines aren't. headscratch.gif

I've heard that too. But I meant when I hear things more along the lines of " Polio was generally a mild illness... it very rarely caused paralysis. Less than 1%!"  etc and I just think it's funny to think that a 1 in 200 chance of becoming permanently paralyzed is low risk or mild illness but the much much smaller chance of being harmed by a vaccine is high. 

Of course that risk/benefit analyses you described that some of them use only works as long as most people vaccinate...

#7 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM

These forums do not host discussions that denigrate, insult or otherwise negatively generalize about the vaccination advocacy or practice of others.

just wanted to point out the UA... generalizations about non vaxxers are uncool and violate the UA.
dinahx and erigeron like this.
#8 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Do you vaccinate on schedule, Gryphonn?

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#9 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Gryphonn is correct. Please do not bring criticism of a group or an individual into your discussions. This is a support forum and should not become an exclusive debate forum against the beliefs or practices of people who have opposing beliefs from you own. 

#10 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm not clear on what constitutes criticism in this context, and would appreciate clarification. I personally am not criticizing any individual, but stating I do not agree with particular positions that are held by some people. I don't see anyone in this thread offering any personal criticism. There's a difference between "People are so stupid for believing ____" and "I don't agree with the belief that _____". If that second is not allowed, then most of the debate forum should go kerflooey. And I could find plenty of examples in INV where they criticize positions held by our camp in a very similar manner as what is seen in this thread--should I be intervening in those threads and flagging their posts? 

chickabiddy and teacozy like this.

#11 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

There is a difference in specifying a group of people when you make a statement to take issue with what they believe and stating a specific opinion you disagree with, without attributing it to an individual or general group. 

"I think NVers are naive to think polio was a relatively mild disease..."

"I think the idea that polio was a relatively mild disease..."

Do you see the difference? One sets up a discussion to criticize and generalize about a group of people. The other is a discussion of beliefs regarding polio. If you truly want a support forum for your needs as vaccinating parents it should be to discuss the vaccinations and diseases and not groups of people with whom you disagree.

Yes, you may flag posts that have done similarly in INV and I will explain the same to them. But please keep it to currently active threads. We're not going to go back and address things post in discussions no longer active. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page