A new "my kid had a shot with no serious reaction" celebration thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 01-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We all got our flu shots this week.  No reactions for DS (2 years) or DH, I have a sore arm I think because I tense up no matter what I try to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flu shots for all this fall. No adverse reactions for any of us. We didn't get the respiratory creeping crud that everyone dealt with over the break (just a stomach bug).

C/S DD ( 9 ), VBAC DD ( 6 ), & a surprise little guy on the way in August '14
#33 of 58 Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dd1 (12 years old) got her 3rd and final HPV shot recently.  A little tenderness at the injection site, but nothing worse.  I'm very grateful she likely won't have to go through what I did with HPV (I had to have a portion of my cervix removed when I was 17 because of it).

#34 of 58 Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Gardasil, Menactra, and HepA today.  One sore arm.  A little weak in the knees after the shots, which I understand occasionally happens with Gardasil, but may also have been the reaction to an adrenaline rush (she's really really scared of needles, but understands why vaxes are important).  She was fine within 10 minutes, though, so I'll put it in the "no serious reaction" thread.

Oh, and flu shots for both of us earlier this season with no issues and no flu!

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#35 of 58 Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 PM

A friend of ours recently got the flu. He wasn't vaxed. His wife is a nurse, and she was vaxed, and didn't get it. They'd been at our house the day before he was diagnosed, but none of us got it; I like to think the vaxes worked for us. (Which reminds me, I still need to schedule Daughter to get the second vaccine.)

#36 of 58 Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 PM

We all got flu shots a couple months ago with no reaction to report and 2 year old DS got his HepA booster and didn't even cry. Just gave the nurse a disgusted look when she offered him a bandaid.
#37 of 58 Old 02-12-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

(she's really really scared of needles, but understands why vaxes are important)

My 12yo is terrified of needles, too (and pain in general!) But before she gets a shot we talk about what it's for and why it's important.  That helps a lot!

#38 of 58 Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

I agree - talking with the kids about why they're getting what they're getting is important. 

The nurse in the UK who gave pre-school boosters to my son called them "scratchy medicine" which he still remembers. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#39 of 58 Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Daughter read through all the Vaccine Information Statements and decided that she wanted all the shots yesterday.  (I would have insisted on meningitis and pushed HepA, but would have allowed her to delay Gardasil).

The doctor and nurse had no problem giving her the sheets and the time to read them and decide.

I wonder sometimes.  Most of us pro-vaxers have had reasonably good experiences with informed consent.  Many vaccine critics have not.  I wonder why that happens.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#40 of 58 Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 AM

Got Daughter her second flu shot on Thursday. She did fine. Actually cried when she saw the needle coming at her, but was okay afterward. Thanked the nurse when she gave her a band-aid. No reactions afterwards. Little Guy is too young for anything but Hep B, but we delayed that because my titers are still good (they drew them in the hospital for me!) His turn in a couple months. It's always a little anxiety-inducing, I think, but after watching Daughter have no issues through the entire process I'm less worried this time. 

#41 of 58 Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 AM

My 8-week-old will get his first shots next week. Can't wait to have a social life again. I am just so apprehensive taking an unvaxed baby ANYWHERE.

#42 of 58 Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

I'd been meaning to check the school calendar to see when the next rounds of shots were so I could give DD a heads up.  Guess I should have gotten on that a little sooner.  It was last week and DD found out when the nurse popped into her gym class to get her - she was the first called.  Oops. Poor kid.  She was mad when she got home. 

Her poor arm was so sore for the next couple days that she couldn't possibly unload the dishwasher or pick up any of her belongings dropped on the floor!  Oh the moaning and clutching at her arm whenever she tried!  And I don't doubt that it was a little sore, but I also note that it didn't bother her at all those same days when she was throwing her sled over our 5 foot fence and then climbing over it herself to go sledding, wrestling with her brother, and in martial arts class or swimming lessons, or pretty much any other time when she wasn't bemoaning the lack of warning or being asked to do something she didn't want to do. 

It was the second round of Gardasil and hepatitis B. 

#43 of 58 Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM

I usually don't hang around here too often but I'm happy to report DD had her second DTaP with no issues. Now it will be DS's 3rd one soon and I'm worried he'll get the lump again.

#44 of 58 Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 AM

Yesterday I took my 15 month old to his checkup and he got another round of Prevnar and his first Varicella and MMR.  He cried during the shot, but then was happy afterwards.  We went for frozen yogurt to make him feel better.  He had no swelling at the injection site and not even a fever.

#45 of 58 Old 03-30-2014, 02:39 PM

My three-month-old has no thyroid. All his jags will be done inpatient. First load was done four weeks ago with NO reaction whatsoever. Unless you count "smiling more on cue" for the first time in the following hours a reaction. Next shots next week :)

#46 of 58 Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 PM

My colicky two month old got his immunizations on Monday. Since then, no real crying or colicky episodes. Therefore immunization cures colic. Woo hoo!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#47 of 58 Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Little Guy had his 2 month shots this morning. We have a new doc and instead of one in each leg, the medical assistant did both in the same leg in really fast succession. They call her "Vicky the Vaccinator" because she's so efficient. He was eating interspersed with fussing during most of the time we were in the room, then finally fell asleep. So when I put him down on the table for the vaccines, he woke up somewhat, then cried in indignation once he got the shot, but then pretty much fell right back asleep and napped off and on for most of the rest of the day, as he is wont to do. He was a little fussier than usual this evening, but that could just be a coincidence because he has been starting to wake up more and be more particular about getting put down vs. being held. 

#48 of 58 Old 04-14-2014, 04:22 PM

2nd shots done. This time again, NO reactions whatsoever. Not even a bump on the legs. He is the happiest, smiliest little guy who is now giving us belly chuckles. Was a bit worried about the location of shots as I wear him a lot, so they gave them to him a little higher and more in the middle rather than the sides of the leg. He just flinched a little, gave a whimper, bf, went back in his sling and had a happy walk home, smiling in his new wrap and matching bandana!

#49 of 58 Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I miss wearing mine. They're way too big now. Almost enough to make me consider a third! wink1.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#50 of 58 Old 05-24-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)

Forgot to add this to the thread.  

My son has his 2 year check up on Monday and got his last dose of Hep A and blood work to check for iron levels.  He is completely up to date and doesn't need any more shots until 4, yay! 

He had absolutely no reactions, did not even cry from the shot :)   He's been completely normal and his usual happy go lucky self! 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
#51 of 58 Old 05-24-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My oldest and youngest went in for vaccinations at the same time the other day.  The 9 yr old was smug over her not needing any for a few more years.  Everyone is doing fine and thankfully contributing to a healthier home, school and society.

#52 of 58 Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 PM

Thought you might get a kick out of this. My son had a Varicella booster yesterday. After saying during the ENTIRE visit repeated statements of "I don't want a shot! I'm not getting a shot! NO SHOT for me, thanks!", he got the shot, and promptly said "That was it? But it didn't even hurt!" Silly boy!

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#53 of 58 Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Great story.
#54 of 58 Old 06-08-2014, 07:06 AM

The little guy had his 4 month shots on Thursday. He was kind of fussy for the rest of the day, but otherwise has been doing fine. I wasn't able to make it to the appointment and was actually in the middle of working a 12-hour shift, so I bet some of the fussiness was just wanting Mama; he prefers his milk from the tap rather than in a bottle, and when both parents are around he gets more snuggles.
#55 of 58 Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Trying to post a
#56 of 58 Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Seems a alone is not allowed. Interesting. I'm missing the "like" button.
#57 of 58 Old 07-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Baby girl has gotten sickish precisely one time from her shots. A couple of weeks ago, the np said most babies she knew got a bit of fever from that dose.

Baby girl was absolutely fine.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#58 of 58 Old 07-11-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

That's great news.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page